Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Boeing working on on active flow control technology

I came across this: http://www.nasa.gov/press/2013/november/nasa-boeing-finish-tests-of-757-vertical-tail-with-advanced-technology/#.UoV8GJGyxBU

Even though I find it hard to imagine this having any impact on GA design the development is very interesting nevertheless.

EYVP

Not another one please – I’ll not be made a fool twice, at least not from the same name, and not at so short in interval!

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Not another one please – I’ll not be made a fool twice, at least not from the same name, and not at so short in interval!

I beg you pardon?

EYVP

Who is going to tell him this time?

Biggin Hill

Check this:

http://www.euroga.org/forums/hangar-talk/1670-boeing-proposes-new-flight-deck-equipment

where I was caught at unawares

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Who is going to tell him this time?

Beautiful. If this were Facebook, I’d want to hand out a double-like now.

Jan, I think there’s nothing wrong with this press release.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

I can’t see what it actually does. Can anybody explain it?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I am not sure, but it looks like they re-energize the flow over the airfoil. There is a transition point where the airflow gets turbulent and further a separation point were the airflow gets separated from the airfoil. With this technology the airflow “attaches” longer on the airflow, reducing the area needed to produce a force to get things done (lift ect.).

Bushpilot C208/C182
FMMI/EHRD, Madagascar

I am not sure, but it looks like they re-energize the flow over the airfoil. There is a transition point where the airflow gets turbulent and further a separation point were the airflow gets separated from the airfoil. With this technology the airflow “attaches” longer on the airflow, reducing the area needed to produce a force to get things done (lift ect.).

This involves adding energy into the airflow, but evidently the net efficiency gain is large enough for them to consider this to be applied to the design of future aircraft.

EYVP
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message