Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Suddenly afraid of training

I have the plan to get my license. I’ve actually been interested in aviation all my life and now it fits. I could afford it without having to make any sacrifices elsewhere.

I was motivated and then almost canceled before the first training flight. But it was good, I’m sort of talented (as the instructor said) and I had fun, so I got everything in place to start my training. The theory learning works, I got a headset and everything was settled to start with the flying lessons.

Shortly before scheduling the first lesson, I started to have doubts and I told myself that I take a break to get my head clear. It suddenly seemed very dangerous and I thought about whether I really wanted to invest the money or the time and what will I do after I got my license. This is my usual reaction to fear. I no longer think clearly and look for reasons why something is not as good as it is.
I actually know why I want to do it. I’m interested in everything with an engine, want to get an IR and I want to see Europe in a different way. But there are really two fronts fighting each other inside me right now.

Did any of you also have such thoughts during your training or did you get through it without any doubts?

Luxembourg

Sure. It happened sometimes when I hanven’t fly for some time (more than a month when less than 300hours). But once the runway, you push the throtlle and concentrate on flying, everything else goes far – very far in the background…
I have once felt scared when flying on an underpowered plane (DR400 120) in a very hot weather, in the mountains (~2000m), shaken by the very convective weather, but apart from that, cavok. Instead of making a U turn, I continued convincing myself that – apart from feeling at the mercy of the natural elements – everything was “as planed”.
I landed in my destination, took a coke, and came back with no issues. And the day after, I realized that my limits were now farther than before, thanks to that experience.

Everyone is different, just try and you will see for yourself.

Doubt is what could keeps you alive.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 25 Apr 12:10
LFMD, France

I would say if you are not at least a little bit afraid when flying then you are not really aware of what you are doing, or aware of the risks. Fear can be a good thing – embrace it. You can choose to overcome it if you want to.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

greg_mp wrote:

Instead of making a U turn, I continued convincing myself that – apart from feeling at the mercy of the natural elements – everything was “as planed”.

That’s an interesting part for me.
How to tell whether the feeling is a bad gut feeling that you should listen to or just something unfamiliar and you move on? I lose the ability to assess this sometimes when I get fears.

I mean flying at low density, objectively and logically leads to a drop in performance but you probably don’t classify it correctly in the situation. Otherwise it wouldn’t have happened. I’m afraid something like that will happen to me too. From the outside, everyone says it’s a pilot error and should be avoided. Like it is most of the time said in crashes. But you don’t see it that way yourself when you’re in the middle of the situation, because mistakes are human and sometimes humans are simply not rational.

Luxembourg

Volaris wrote:

How to tell whether the feeling is a bad gut feeling that you should listen to or just something unfamiliar and you move on?

Flying in the mountains can be seriously “dramatic”. I don’t know if scary is the correct word, I do get startled for some seconds perhaps. But every now and then I do wonder how I’m going to get out of the situation, and have to pull myself together and think constructively over some time, use my brain. The last time was this winter. Very strong winds at altitude (almost no wind lower at the fjord, really weird). I was flying the Savannah, a STOL. Slow, draggy and lots of wing surface area. Then over the mountains I hit a mountain wave. Being sucked straight up, I throttled to idle and pushed the stick forward going as fast as I dared, and I was still going up. What to do? Will I just end my days being blown away like a leaf? The thought, even as silly as it is, did strike my mind I have been in lots of mountain waves before, so I knew they don’t extend forever. So, my thought was, keep on going, and I will eventually get out of it.. That’s what I did. I thought about turning around as well, but since I was continuously going up, that didn’t seem like a better choice. After perhaps a minute, all of the sudden the atmosphere behaved normal again. And a bit to my surprise I did not end in the equally strong downdraft. I figured I had flown along side it and ended up in surprisingly calm conditions.

I don’t know exactly what the moral of the story is, but the feeling can get really bad every now and then, especially when the forces of nature completely overpowers the aircraft. That’s when a brain is useful I guess.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I had no such thoughts, no. I wanted this at all costs and whenever I got to a point where something didn’t make sense or I didn’t understand I pushed through until I got it and I did anything I could to do so. And I continue to do so.

I have to say it’s my personal opinion that being a pilot is not for everyone and many probably should never get their license. It’s all about being the PIC. Are you the kind of person that can fully grasp what that means? And will you dedicate yourself to doing whatever needs to be done to fulfill your duties as PIC?

Dueties such as:
- knowing the rules and regulations that you must follow
- carrying the responsibility for life and property
- aquiring airmanship skills and displaying good ADM

Because flying straight and level is relatively easy you know. But realize that in the air everything is on you. There’s no one coming to you to hold your hand and help you if something goes wrong, and a lot can go wrong. It’s your responsibility. You have to train enough to know as many possible scenarios what can go wrong and what to do and you have to make decisions that can mean life or death. Sure you might get information and advice but ultimately it’s up to you, your mind and your body.

Maybe a bit dramatic. But it’s true. So yeah, not sure what to tell you.. but if you’re struggling with even deciding if you want this or not, how will you make the decision in which field to put it down should the fan in front unexpectedly stop? If you have an answer you’re probably good, if you don’t better just fly on a discovery flight first or a few times, the cost is almost the same as training.. and scratch the itch and move on to something else.

ELLX, Luxembourg

One thing to bear in mind is that your impression at present isn’t based on reality but on what you think it will be like.

When it comes to GA, flying with an instructor (during training – not with an instructor as a passenger!) is the safest GA flying that you will do.
Basic training with an instructor isn’t really very risky at all.

So you should try and push yourself to do 3 or 4 lessons, and then reassess how you feel about it. At least then you’ll have some real world experience to make the judgement call, without really exposing yourself to much risk at all.

I’ve had nervous passengers come along with me. Virtually everyone told me that their nerves were gone about a minute after take off. Flying isn’t scary, but thinking about what it might be like can be scary.

The risks increase once you start flying by yourself, flying in IMC, at night, cross water, in difficult weather, when you’ve lost currency and various other things. But that generally comes when you’ve finished training and you’re in charge of those risks yourself.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

hazek wrote:

Dueties such as:
- knowing the rules and regulations that you must follow
- carrying the responsibility for life and property

In my opinion, my thoughts and my question are influenced precisely by the fact that I am aware of this and am currently in the process of deciding whether I trust myself to do this. In my opinion, that’s a better quality than just jumping in and overestimating yourself and saying that it will all work out.

hazek wrote:

but if you’re struggling with even deciding if you want this or not, how will you make the decision in which field to put it down should the fan in front unexpectedly stop?

I’m not sure if you can compare the two. Reacting to a threatening action and sticking to your decision is different when it’s required. Compared to making a balanced decision when there is no pressure. e.g. climbing, I can also be unsure whether I should go to the wall today or not. But when I’m there, I know how to belay myself or what to do if I fall.

hazek wrote:

You have to train enough to know as many possible scenarios what can go wrong and what to do and you have to make decisions that can mean life or death.

That’s the point I have a lot of respect for. I will be alone in the air at some point and I can do stupid things. The license is just a license to keep learning. But how do I bridge the gap between flying without an instructor and really knowing everything I need to know?
My assumption is that there is a window in which I am allowed to fly alone, but that I would not have every situation under control and might do something stupid, e.g. instinctively pull instead of push or spin due to a wrong reaction.

hazek wrote:

If you have an answer you’re probably good, if you don’t better just fly on a discovery flight first or a few times, the cost is almost the same as training.. and scratch the itch and move on to something else.

I did a discovery flight as described and I felt good. I guess I’m just overthinking some parts as it’s an initial (financial) commitment starting the process e.g. admission fee.

Luxembourg

There you go. Sounds like you want this and know the responsibility.

ELLX, Luxembourg

I am assuming you mean you have had an initiation flight not just a discovery flight.
An initiation flight is one with an instructor with you sitting in the left hand seat and getting an opportunity to handle the controls.
There is no need to worry about your first solo, which many find nerve wracking.
The test is also nerve wracking unless you are overconfident or a superstar. But flying yourself back from the test, having passed, is an exhilarating experience. You suddenly feel like a Captain.
What you must have is an instructor who is capable of understanding your concerns.
Most instructors IMO are good at knowing when you are ready to move on to the next stage of airmanship.

France
51 Posts
Sign in to add your message