Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aircraft type and owner personality

From here and here and here and of course the many threads on this I wonder if there is a correlation between aircraft type and the owner personality.

There is an obvious one with cars, and a lot of other stuff.

One huge factor in this – for any product – is the marketing, which tends to be pitched to address particular personality types.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I drive the car that feels great on the road. I guess it is part of my personality that I want such a car but the car I have objectively is such a car and I’m brand agnostic and would choose another brand if it met that criteria.

For planes one can’t be too picky anyway. But still I am type agnostic again and simply care about what the plane can offer and that it roughly offers what I want. Although I can say one thing here is that the TB20 yoke and flight deck layout is just downright ugly and I could never see myself own one of those (I promise Peter this is not a dig at you, just my taste xD). That yoke in particular.. no I just couldn’t.

So in the end there is something to it but maybe not as deep as one might expect. But that’s the same with everything in life, right? The clothes we wear, the homes we build.. it is influenced by our personalities.

ELLX, Luxembourg

What kind of owner personalities are there? Or more precisely, what is the personality difference between a Cessna-dude and a Piper-dude ? I would say absolutely none

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I understand your point.

But I know way too many cases where that isn’t the case.

Me for example – I own a Cirrus. I don’t like to fly fast, I take more flight training than flights with my own family, I’m all about safety and standardised procedures and I look at my bank statement before I take her to maitenance and decide how much I can afford.

I don’t necessarily fit the Cirrus profile but circumstances around the purchase time dictated that a Cirrus would be most suitable for me.

Before my Cirrus, I flew a 206. Very diferent planes. I loved them both.

EGSU, United Kingdom

I can count the aircraft I didn’t enjoy flying on one hand. And even some of those, it was not the flying that put me off, it was the feeling.
As an older person I totally disagree with @hazek. In my younger days I found the cockpit of the TB range to be awesome. I still like it today. But I don’t like video games,modern furniture, or houses.🙂 So perhaps there is a correlation between aircraft and personality. I won’t spend much time thinking about it. If I go to the airfield on the weekend and someone suggests going for a flight.in whatever aircraft, I will jump at it and maybe fly the Super Guépard afterwards.🙂

France

Come to think of it, in aviation there are only two personalities

• The Pilot
  • The Aviator

The Pilot flies by the numbers, follows all procedures religiously. The typical Cirrus/Da42 owner?
The Aviator flies by the seat of the pants. The typical experimental/UL owner?

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

That’s just a silly caricature.

But I know way too many cases where that isn’t the case.

Indeed; and same with cars.

Administrator

Like almost anybody I make my money by association with business success, but I’m attracted to spending it on products that were too expensive to make or don’t align with the established market and are now underpriced as a result. Somebody else’s business failures in other words, that get a chance to make good with me

I also particularly like vehicles that are pleasant and intuitive to operate. Flying a plane for pleasure is my main ‘mission’, there are easier ways to travel to far away places. However the Venn Diagram overlap between ‘enjoyable to fly’ and the category described above is pretty well populated. The market is usually right but there are always bargain priced exceptions, and that’s what I like to find and buy.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 25 Apr 15:59

Peter wrote:

That’s just a silly caricature.

A caricature, yes. Silly, no. All personality “types” are caricatures. Regarding aircraft I think this has a lot to do with taste as well. On average there’s a higher probability people end up with aircraft that suits their “taste” of flying than they end up with an aircraft that doesn’t suit their taste.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

That is a lot better

Administrator
44 Posts
Sign in to add your message