Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Hangar Queen for 20 years

Just come across this article from 2020.
Private_aircraft_which_has_been_grounde_pdf

I have seen some hangar queens (planes which live in a hangar without ever flying) at Shoreham, until the airport finally cleared them out, but this may be a record.

But most were abandoned, unlike this one where the owner was apparently paying 5-10k a year for hangarage.

However this is not unusual with the old twins. I know of a 421C which has an Annual every year, having flown about 4hrs in between.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

What a pitty!

EDWF, Germany

There was a Beech Duke at the airport I learned to fly at like your 4 hours a year twin. The owner would have the plane pulled out the hangar by the line crew, and then would turn up and jump in without so much as a cursory pre-flight inspection. If the right wing had been missing outboard of the engine nacelle he’d probably not notice till he tried to rotate.

Andreas IOM

I just look at hangar queens and ramp rats as stored goodness for a future project. Lots of single engine planes are immobile in $400/month hangars locally waiting for their time to be turned over to somebody new and revived. For now the hangar doors are rarely opened. The Cessna Crusader is a bit different in that it appears to have been maintained in good shape, which likely cost money, and it’s a large plane which costs a lot more to store inside.

The Crusader is BTW a sought after model by some people. I bet the back story is interesting. One imagines some aged, eccentric UK aristocrat as the owner.

Fun stuff anyway.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 12 Sep 14:28

There is a hangar mummy in France a 1967 V35, the asking price is probably less than the value of the ruddervators if they are in good condition.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message