Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mysteries of Eurocontrol

@gallois, for me the most disappointing bit is that Eurocontrol NM accepts it is wrong and can’t fix it! It is up to France ANSP to resolve…

EGTR

Back to my original question, just returned from Mali Losinj using the filed route that @Snoopy suggested. I was a bit concerned that they would ask me to climb to FL140 for BORDA. But in fact at GEN (Genoa) they sent me out to OZMIC which is on the way to INLOV and an excellent start to the approach. I got a bit of vectoring because there was someone in front of me doing the same approach.

The two flights both went very nicely. On the way out I got direct CHI (on the eastern side of Italy) before I even left French airspace. The return route was similar, a bunch of Directs that cut out most of the intermediate waypoints.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

LFMD, France

The benefit of piston IFR in Europe. You are the only one around, and ATC can hand out directs galore.

always learning
LO__, Austria

In the USA the turbo-prop, or piston, pressurised crowd have the rule of thumb of using FL280 with a tailwind, and FL180 with a headwind. In my experience once you are below FL240 European ATC likes to vector you on endless detours, defeating the purpose of flying lower to avoid headwinds.

Below FL100 you might get the odd direct crossing through la France profonde, or in these examples where you are not interfering with jet metropolitan STAR/SID traffic, but it can be worse than FL180.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
54 Posts
Sign in to add your message