Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

General Aviation in Europe is Fantastic these days! (the counterpoint)

I’m still a bit twisted about this GPS or not GPS, or rather moving map on a pad/phone as it always ends up being in practice. Not using it, is rather stupid because it is a phenomenal tool that simply should be used. On the other hand, not knowing or practicing the basics of navigation without GPS is a bit over the stupid line as well. Some form of balance must be possible to find. All that “computer” stuff and calculations has to go though IMO.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

gallois wrote:

and can in fact be integrated/coupled to skydemon

I had a quick look at their website, but couldn’t figure out how you would integrate it with Sky Demon. Is there an explanation somewhere? (In French is fine)

Derek
Stapleford (EGSG), Denham (EGLD)

@derek tbh I really don’t know much about this and haven’t done it myself. But an FE/FI friend showed me that it is done as you would do for linking 3rd party stuff like jeppesen into Skydemon. I have not done it because I mostly just use Skydemon but when I have tried SDVFR I find them pretty much the same. In fact for a free app it has a lot to offer, but you have to pay(not a lot) for some add ons that are already in Skydemon as standard. Most French just use the free software but I do know someone who has paid for the vertical profile that comes as standard in Skydemon.
Sorry I’m not much good at this IT stuff I just learn the bits I need.

France

The leading VFR nav app for the iPad in France. France only, and French only, but does a fantastic job of showing the confusing maze of controlled and restricted airspace in France in an easy-to-use way.

Modern apps separate the text from the code, in a way which makes multi-language easy to do. I wonder why nobody had done the same for this app. It would help non-French pilots fly to France…

Interestingly, the OP never came back after his one post Well, apart from this one.

I’m still a bit twisted about this GPS or not GPS

The GPS debate is as old as GPS. The industry won’t support GPS usage for as long as some planes don’t have GPS, and the CAAs are loaded with ex national AF people who don’t believe in GPS (and who mostly never flew for real anywhere).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

derek wrote:

gallois wrote: and can in fact be integrated/coupled to skydemon

I had a quick look at their website, but couldn’t figure out how you would integrate it with Sky Demon. Is there an explanation somewhere? (In French is fine)

@derek, if you open an “intrument plates” for a specific airport (for example, open EGMC then scroll down to Runway 05 Approach Charts), you will see that a button for an individual plate consists of two parts – the right-most most is to open geo-referenced.

EGTR

Wonderful with such a positive attitude! Much needed!

Have a nice flight! :-)

Last Edited by AndersB at 22 May 07:38
ESOW, Sweden
46 Posts
Sign in to add your message