Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Non equity group input

The much talked about ‘syndicate problems’ are usually easy to spot a mile off. Poor condition PA28-140 or C152, 20+ members who each fly the minimum hours per year to keep their licence. The cheapest possible (certified) flying = quite obvious that members won’t expect to or be prepared to put their hands in their pockets. It fits a need in the market and if you want to pay £40 a month fixed costs and £80 per hour wet with close to zero commitment and a low buy-in price for the share then you can, but don’t expect extensive aircraft availability or money-no-object maintenance!

Neither of the syndicates I’m in have any such problems. You meet the people and see the aeroplanes and it’s clear why. Obviously we pay a bit more, but it’s still a lot cheaper than outright ownership in terms of dividing up the fixed costs.

Now onto ‘non-equity’. As far as I’m concerned, a non-equity group is a straightforward rental business and I’m yet to hear any convincing arguments to the contrary. If there’s no equity shared among the members, then in what way is it a ‘group’? It’s certainly not group ownership. It is group ‘operation’? Possibly, but the definition of ‘operator’ is fluid at the best of times. I think your insurers will tell you that if you run a non-equity group then you’ll be insuring for rental – or maybe they’ll use a different term but the premium will be the same. The CAA will probably want to see ‘for hire and reward’ maintenance requirements followed, and the taxman will consider the money your ‘members’ pay you as income.

I have heard proponents of non-equity groups argue that it isn’t rental because it isn’t open to all comers. Well, rental is not open to all comers either. Any business can rent you an aircraft or not at their absolute discretion and they don’t have to give a reason. As long as they’re not discriminating based on some characteristic that is protected in law, you cannot make a business accept you as a customer.

There are of course options for less formal arrangements. One is where you fly a friend’s aircraft (they having put you on the insurance) and you slip that friend some money afterwards which is, if anyone asks, unrelated to flying. This is straightforward private use.

I would suggest either coming to informal private arrangements with people you know and trust, syndicate it (probably unattractive if you wish to retain control), establish a rental business around it (which is what non-equity syndication is) or stick as you are. Each has different pros and cons which may matter more or less depending on your circumstances.

EGLM & EGTN

Peter wrote:

The difference here is that Snoopy is trying to do some version of N147KA, which had a ~£400/hr hourly rate

I don’t know what N147KA is. My point is that people go into “syndicates” simply because it is what makes most sense. The goal is to have some fun doing some loops. Do you have to purchase yourself an entire aircraft to do that? Not if several others also are looking for the same kind of fun.

There is no difference between this and any other aircraft, for any purpose, as long as the objective is what matters, and this objective is agreed upon.

Ibra wrote:

the owner has literally zero emotional attachment or financial dependency to it

This is also important IMO. You cannot grow too emotionally attached, or become financially dependent to the aircraft when sharing it with others. It’s the usage, whatever that usage is, that is of importance, and which everybody should focus on: the “mission profile”. Even the our club would become too financially dependent, if the club was to purchase it. It wouldn’t work.

Snoopy’s case is a bit different. He is looking to offset the ownership costs (or cut the losses is perhaps another way to say it ) The financial dependency is already there from the start. There seems to be some level of emotional attachment as well? Maybe it will work, maybe it wont. I don’t know. But then I would think it would perhaps work to lend it out on a per case financial basis to known persons. I would think though it would be better to cut most emotional attachments, lend it out to a club in need of a touring machine (if this is what it is). Snoopy could still use it as before, but would have to focus on the “mission profile” rather than the aircraft as such (to stay a happy person )

It’s the same in the Air Force as well. Each plane has it’s own ground crew, and with the name of the crew chief on the plane. It’s important that the ground crew is emotionally attached to “their” plane, as well as keeping a healthy competition between the crews. Some senior pilot might have a his name on a special plane, but there are too many pilots compared with planes anyway. The pilots should focus on the mission, 100%, not on the plane (and yes, I have seen Top Gun )

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Graham wrote:

Now onto ‘non-equity’. As far as I’m concerned, a non-equity group is a straightforward rental business and I’m yet to hear any convincing arguments to the contrary. If there’s no equity shared among the members, then in what way is it a ‘group’? It’s certainly not group ownership. It is group ‘operation’? Possibly, but the definition of ‘operator’ is fluid at the best of times. I think your insurers will tell you that if you run a non-equity group then you’ll be insuring for rental – or maybe they’ll use a different term but the premium will be the same. The CAA will probably want to see ‘for hire and reward’ maintenance requirements followed, and the taxman will consider the money your ‘members’ pay you as income. I have heard proponents of non-equity groups argue that it isn’t rental because it isn’t open to all comers. Well, rental is not open to all comers either. Any business can rent you an aircraft or not at their absolute discretion and they don’t have to give a reason. As long as they’re not discriminating based on some characteristic that is protected in law, you cannot make a business accept you as a customer.

They are rentals indeed, for maintenance my understanding it need CAMO if Part21 and owner can’t do 50h check? (someone quietly told me you don’t need engineer for 50h in non-equity, I told him quietly we don’t even need any papers and we can just fly it with fuel and without airworthiness or insurance, joking), the insurance stays manageable with named pilots in terms of excess & premium (my insurance require 300h TT & 100h on model for any pilot, 100TT & 25h on model for named pilots, instructor sign-off for the owner), the tax authorities will be interested if you are making money, less so if you are covering your costs

In the other hand you can sell 1$ equity share and then it’s no longer a rental but rather ‘equity syndicate’

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I bought a 1/6 share in a Jodel DR1050 at the start of 1990. The Group lasted till late 2020, when death/illness made selling the only solution. £50 per month, £60 per tach hour at end. The aircraft was always tatty but flyable, between Shetland, Killarney, and central France.
I got the Group name and bought a plane. The Group continues.
I was for a year a founder member of a larger Pa28 Group. It lasted 30 years until the spar failed an annual. Despite more members, their problem was getting enough hours flown. She was well kitted out and we’ll maintained.
The only thing that matters is that the Group members want cheap flying and are prepared to argue. 3 would be too few – 2 v 1 in arguments. 6 worked well.
Don’t reject equity syndicates.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Graham wrote:

Now onto ‘non-equity’. As far as I’m concerned, a non-equity group is a straightforward rental business and I’m yet to hear any convincing arguments to the contrary

However it can be done on a SDMP in the UK.

25 Posts
Sign in to add your message