Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Going back to the Moon

LeSving wrote:

Why bring people to Mars?

I think many of us find the question of why irrelevant. The answer is “because we haven’t yet.” For those who need more reason, there are of course many modern inventions/discoveries which exist because of the human spaceflight R&D work.

EHRD, Netherlands

I have nothing against spaceflights or R&D work for spaceflight. I just don’t see the value of sending people along the ride.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

I have nothing against spaceflights or R&D work for spaceflight. I just don’t see the value of sending people along the ride.

@LeSving, with you on that – I’ve seen the certification requirements for the manned and unmanned space flights, and have to say it is a nightmare to put a human on spaceship.
If it is an R&D unmanned flight – no problem, if it goes down, well, just some money is lost. Different story with humans.
Yes, we fly because we can, but it adds so many problems to do that…

EGTR

I’ve seen the certification requirements for the manned and unmanned space flights, and have to say it is a nightmare to put a human on spaceship.

Following that, everybody on this forum could fly drones, it would be so much easier and safer.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

I’ve seen the certification requirements for the manned and unmanned space flights, and have to say it is a nightmare to put a human on spaceship.

Following that, everybody on this forum could fly drones, it would be so much easier and safer.

@Emir, so true! :)))
An old joke that if the first human flight (Wright brothers) was to happen now, it would not have happened due to Health & Safety.
I think in my mind the spaceflight would be justified if there would be real reason to fly to other planets, otherewise less so.

EGTR

LeSving wrote:

Space exploration without people is like two chess computers playing against each other. It’s just not the same…

Biggin Hill

arj1 wrote:

An old joke that if the first human flight (Wright brothers) was to happen now, it would not have happened due to Health & Safety.

The one flight which comes to my mind which would give any regulator in todays age a collective heart attack was Lindbergh’s NYC-PAR flight. No forward vision, MASSIVE overload and FDR’s pulverized.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Aviation would be absolutely banned if it started today.

Manned spaceflight is much more interesting than robotic spaceflight. One should excite public interest. If one doesn’t do that, we may as well become a totally boring and bland species which never does anything new.

Human presence also achieves more. Decisions can be made on the spot.

I remember watching the Apollo 11 landing

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sorry for being so cruely realistic, this present project is complete BS. I will change my verdict once somebody can tell me in what time scale mankind would be able to reach another galactic. Our planetary system is already vast in human imagination. It takes years to even land on Mars – no human load transported. Now figure out what it would take to get a few men onto Mars and back, a project taking years. I don´t see anything economically usefull to find on next planets, not to speak of planets in other systems. Distances are just so enormous to find people willing to risk a flight there – except somebody can come up with transport near light speed ?? So instead we should better care about other earthly matters like water supply in US and elsewhere, geothermics for power supply and so on. Just this is not so inspiring to some but better spent money benefit for anyone, not just like annual trillions going into Pentagon war industry. Vic
vic
EDME

vic wrote:

It takes years to even land on Mars – no human load transported. Now figure out what it would take to get a few men onto Mars and back, a project taking years.

Actually, they don’t expect to get them back, but to populate the Mars and stay there. At least that is one project.

You may well ask, why explore the universe at all if we are never gonna go there. Or why bother with other “uninteresting” places like the polar regions?

Mankind is curious and that is why it evolves. Some of the satisfied curiosity has little impact on us, but many, particularly the technical advantages achieved due to the needs of space flight, are now every day items. Not least solar energy, which was pioneered on those early spacecraft and becomes very important now. I am quite positive that future projects in space will have similar benefits in advance of technology.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message