Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Working from home - does it work?

Silvaire, you appear to live in a different America that I know or belong to some sort of small group of fortunate folks who “made it”.

I know many people in the US, most of which live paycheck to paycheck, most of which work 2-3 jobs to buy college for their kids and to sent the mortage check every month and find it totally normal to forego their vaccations lest someone takes their place if they dare take them. Most people I know have 10 working days paid vaccation per year, some have none as they fill those 10 days up with working in their other jobs.

People work till retirement which hopefully allows them a quiet live with medicare and it is then they start travelling, at 60+.

That is the most part of Americans I know. So don’t tell me they don’t exist there as here.

Of course there are folks who have somehow amounted to your kind of lifestyle in Europe as well, but I’d say while some may frequent here, they are maybe 10% of the whole flock.

Sorry, but I far prefer what I have here: I am 60 this year so till my retirement with 65 I have 7 weeks paid holidays per year and my retirement waiting at the end, which allows me to continue my current lifestyle pretty much unaltered. I pay my healthcare and choose my own insurance so no question whether Medicare or Obama Care or being dependent on your workplace for your health.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 08 Jul 18:05
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Have fun with that

I think your description of the US is overdramatic and wacko. My life is what I’d describe as fairly typical US middle class, surrounded by lots of fun stuff and people. Like everybody else I’ve done better than some, worse than some at a similar age. I’ve worked for 100% of everything I have, something that makes me happy, as does having decent office to work in and a $35K airplane I largely maintain myself. I was fortunate to find a good job 32 years ago and I did something with a fraction of the steady paychecks versus squandering all of it. That doesn’t exactly make me a 1%-er.

I’ll be in Europe again in September for a refresher course there. A friend of mine just bought an M20M that’s currently based in Austria and I think I’ll get a ride in it. He certainly did better than me financially, having now sold the company he built from scratch doing contract work for BMW. It’s possible in Europe too, if you aren’t 100% risk averse and don’t endlessly dwell on the negative.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 08 Jul 18:56

The whole 50hr check thing was completely irrelevant anyway. It was only used as an example of flexibility. I might as well have referred to pink unicorn maintenance, should I choose to have it undertaken by approve pink unicorn engineers.

Lots of things are better in the US. On the flipside, there’s no proper beer and lots of people believe in a god. Swings and roundabouts…

EGLM & EGTN

@Graham, if you care to come visit some time, I could take you to one of the 150+ microbreweries now located in the County (not state!) where I live. I’m guessing we could find something you’d like, and I’m buying.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 08 Jul 21:25

@Silvaire very generous offer thank you. I’ve not been to the US since the February just before Covid kicked off, but it is on my list of things to do when they stop requiring me to take medical tests to enter.

Are we talking about beer that’s actually alive, or pasteurised fizzy drinks (the word ‘craft’ usually figures) from an airtight keg? We too have no shortage of the latter unfortunately – it’s become very hip. I have never tasted what I refer to as real beer – where the yeast is alive in the cask and undergoing a secondary fermentation open to atmosphere while the cask is tapped for service – outside of the UK, but it’s possible I’ve not looked hard enough. The other issue is a tendency to serve everything ice cold – where one cannot taste anything – as opposed to cellar temperature (10-12 C).

EGLM & EGTN

@Graham no medical tests have been required to enter the US since last month. Link which along with changes in Europe is one reason why we’re traveling beyond US and Mexico again now after our horrific experience traveling to European countries last September.

Beer here does indeed tend towards ‘craft’ and Continental varieties, but I did find reference to a couple of places here doing cask ale, as you describe. We’d have to try it to see if it measures up.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 08 Jul 22:11

But it seems they do still require proof of vaccination. I’m vaccinated, but the requirement to prove it irks. The ‘rona is rampant these days – in fact it’s in the house right now, coughing away upstairs.

EGLM & EGTN
Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

@Silvaire how can a “mandatory service bulletin” be advisory? I can understand a " service bulletin" being advisory but surely the clue is in the word “mandatory” anywhere in the world.
Graham is right about the beer. “Green King Abbotts” has always been a favourite of mine. But I’m not sure there are too many fans of UK beer outside the UK. But then I have also never come across a beer in the USA that a cat couldn’t produce better.
Silvaire describes a way of life which as he says he is happy with. It would not suit me at all. We all have different things we enjoy and things that frankly bore us, so there is little point in someone trying to impress their way of life on others.

France

how can a “mandatory service bulletin” be advisory?

This is off topic for this thread. The answer lies in European v. American regulation, where the FAA generally disallows text in MMs which is present primarily for commercially-exploitative reasons. ADs still apply, which is the right way to do it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message