Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Barry Seal, only in Spain (drug running)

Just found the following article:

https://www.diariodecadiz.es/noticias-provincia-cadiz/Narcos-con-alas-hachis-llega-Cadiz-desde-cielo_0_1622538047.html

This will render (small) General Aviation in Spain probably even more difficult.

Best regards,

Horst

Germany

I had to google on Barry Seal

Nice guy

Google translation of Spanish article

Well, they had good taste; they were doing it in in TB20s

Seriously, I doubt Spain could get much harder for GA. The supporting infrastructure is pretty sparse and takes a lot of organising. Most Spanish GA has collapsed to ULs which fly outside “the system”.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

they were doing it in in TB20s

I looked at similar regs? I only found F-GDNL? some serious TB20 touring in France/Spain (and Morocco )

https://www.flickr.com/photos/62861611@N08/49277602508

Last Edited by Ibra at 18 Nov 14:13
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I had to google on Barry Seal

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

If this continues increasing we might see some much more intense ramp checks in near future. Thinking about it, any time I did an international flight within Europe I’ve been welcomed by police, but as we’re typically 5 POB they seem to understand that we don’t have much payload to spare for anything like that. However, I assume that whenever you fly solo they might want to have a closer look. At least it would not surprise me.

Germany

I wonder with the amount of money & weight involved if this applies

https://www.euroga.org/forums/hangar-talk/13460-does-being-over-mtow-invalidate-your-insurance?page=2#301417

Last Edited by Ibra at 18 Nov 14:40
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

These aren’t the TBs for sale mentioned in “Aircraft”?
Ten years of drug-running flights wouldn’t be recorded.:-)
Insurance being valid wouldn’t be my worry

Last Edited by Maoraigh at 18 Nov 21:01
Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Nothing new. Already years ago there was a whole assortment of SEPs that had been impounded parked at LEJU / La Juliana. Sounds like they just upped their game recently.

Indeed an assortment of SEPs. A policeman at LESB once told me that years ago there was a gentleman restoring an AN2 there, but he seemed to be concentrating on removing anything from the interior. It was a very pleasant guy and the policemen did not think much of it. Next thing they found out after it finally left was that it was found in a field (not an airfield) in Southern Spain, no traces what had happened..

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

That’s really funny. Well, at least he was showing proper airmanship and working out the W&B

Drug running has always gone on, at some very low level. Here in the UK, there was a long running operation between Ireland and England (Wales, presumably) using ULs, flying very low above the water, and with ULs having a small radar profile anyway…

Then we’ve had various GA pilots doing the usual thing (file an overt FP, NL to GB, with “stops enroute in fields in NL and GB”) and only the stupid ones will do it because the countryside is full of hikers and bikers, all with camera phones… one pilot got famously killed doing the field portion in OVC000 and FG.

Much more – probably 100x to 1000x more – will be coming through on yachts.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message