Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Useful Annex I qualifying historical aircraft

Here in Ireland, we can import historic aircraft and operate them on a permit to fly system administered by ILAS. This is unlike the UK where you cannot import additional historic aircraft and put them on the register to be operated on a permit. The qualifying definition is:

These are aircraft falling into one or more of the categories below:

• historic aircraft meeting the following criteria:*
  • aircraft whose:*
    — initial design was established before 1 January 1955, and
    — production has been stopped before 1 January 1975;
    or
  • aircraft having a clear historical relevance, related to:*
    — a participation in a noteworthy historical event, — a major step in the development of aviation, or — a major role played into the armed forces of a Member State

There is a list of the current types approved for permits to fly here – https://ilas.ie/TypeList

Are there many interesting and useful aircraft that are not on the above list? I am always looking out for overlooked and unloved aeroplanes. I have a winter project to play with and optimize, but am always planning ahead. If a type has capability beyond hopping the hedges on a fine summer’s evening, then that makes them better again.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Most Jodel DR1050, and many other Jodel D###, were factory built, but orphaned.
The MFI/Bolkow 208 Juniors were factory built, although the original design was for homebuilding. They are listed by EASA as supported by Airbus Industrie.
They were successful ground attack aircraft in the Biafra war.
My BO208Cwas on an EASA Permit, which of course became invalid at 23.59 on 31/12/2020.
I’m now flying with a letter from the CAA authorizing me to fly on the invalid Permit until the expiry date on it.
PS I’m tempted to give type as Airbus Bravo Oscar 208 Charlie.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

WilliamF wrote:

Are there many interesting and useful aircraft that are not on the above list?

How about AN-2? A good plane for conversion into a flying caravan. I’ve just been offered a flyable one for €14k, and one in need of new fabric can be found for 6-7k.
AN-2 proper remained in production after 1975, so it will need to be proven historically significant (e.g. as the biggest ever mass-produced biplane). However, there was also a modification called AN-2M, with a bigger empennage and only one set of controls in the cockpit; that one went out of production in 1971.

Maoraigh wrote:

I’m tempted to give type as Airbus Bravo Oscar 208 Charlie.

In the course of its production life, the type commonly known as Grumman Tiger was made by four different companies and the fifth one owns the TC but has not yet produced any. So, according to the registration and airworthiness certificates, I fly a Gulfstream

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 19 Sep 23:06
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic
3 Posts
Sign in to add your message