Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Prop strike yesterday (and propeller specific noise level)

Sorry to hear about this MD !

I had 3 blades in my M20J when based in UK, it was 85DB at 2700rpm not 75DB, I think I paid a lot in Spain & Germany anytime I showed that paper but I don’t recall it’s banned? I have been in Switzerland about 10 times from France

PS: note that as it was N-reg, I made my own paper for “noise certificate” from EASA engine & propeller lists, I had one noise certificate from when it was on G-reg in 1999 but it was with the 2B MC prop

Last Edited by Ibra at 09 Jul 08:23
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

This is what happens when bureaucrats take over engineering in a GA unfriendly environment. Exactly as planned.

Berlin, Germany

Hoping someone here might help me on a 1981 F33A. Still compiling, ordering, ‘curating’ the seven folders and loose papers (around 20kg) of history, so the noise certificate may/should be in there. It has the two blade McCauley and IO520BB. The EASA web site shows the nearest comparable is a C33A with a IO520BA at 76.4db, and for all practical purposes this fits the bill, except 1981 places my example under Chapter 10 as manufactured after 1980. FAA search didn’t produce an easy ICAO version required for international flights.

Edit was able to download as an .xls and found it as 76.9db but under Chapter 16.

Last Edited by RobertL18C at 09 Jul 08:50
Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Maybe a stupid idea, but… couldn’t you trade props with someone from the US maybe?

Berlin, Germany

@Mooney_Driver I am so sorry to hear this. What’s the exact model of two-blade propeller you’re looking for? I will ask around locally if anyone is able to source or has one.

Denham, Elstree, United Kingdom

Sorry to hear that ! Hope you’ll et it back soon !!

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

One possibility you might have and it’s a big one, if any country prior to EASA approved the installation of that prop on that aIrcraft then EASA will recognise it under Grandfather rights.

I know of an aircraft in the U.K. that had a prop the CAA would not recognise under EASA, but it had been previously approved in Spain so the CAA had to allow it.

https://www.easa.europa.eu/faq/19372

https://www.easa.europa.eu/faq/48613

I don’t know if that will help with noise issues though.

Last Edited by TT at 09 Jul 11:47
TT
United Kingdom

Winston wrote:

What’s the exact model of two-blade propeller you’re looking for?

Hartzell HC-C2YK-1B/()7666-2

Should be one with the new hub, without current eddy inspection, also would need a spinner to it.

The one which is causing the trouble is HC-C3YR-1RF/F7282 which, I understand, is perfectly fine on other planes. So anyone has interest in a brand new one let me know.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

TT wrote:

One possibility you might have and it’s a big one, if any country prior to EASA approved the installation of that prop on that aIrcraft then EASA will recognise it under Grandfather rights.

The STC is fine, so no grandfather rights possible. It is the noise value which comes with it which isn’t.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

The noise classes go after the simple DBa, they don’t care about the Annex.

That’s stupid. I had reason to dig into this in detail in connection with noise restrictions at my home airport. I found that the Deutsche Forschungsanstalt für Raum- und Luftfahrt had done a comparative study between ICAO Annex 16 Chapters 6 and 10 for SEPs and TMGs. Of 8 tested aircraft of different types all but one had higher values according to chapter 10. In some cases the difference was substantial – 7-8 dBA or even more.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message