Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK Border Force instructing EGPG A/G to refuse a landing, due to coronavirus

Peter wrote:

The UK doesn’t really have the concept of a “port of entry” or an “international airport”.

I think you could land at places like EGMC or EGBB or EGNX without GAR, but they might ask you to wait for 4 hours from the moment you arrive (GAR notice for EU→UK is 4 hours).
He could’ve landed at EGNX and then travelled home, in the end EGNX arrivals are only around 70 quid (as per https://www.euroga.org/forums/trips-airports/10637-uk-regional-airports-price-league-table-757kg)

EGTR

I was told by phone to file GAR on EGMC tarmac with “EGMC to EGMC just in case” (it was after landing from an overflight of Calais), I understand you also have to file GAR for landing in Stansted or Heathrow in your PA28 or CJ4, the quoted reason they need to check your details to avoid delays after you land…

Just a note while UK does not have “port of entry” and you can land GA in any grass strip from Germany, landing GA for fuel stops only is not permitted, you have to send GAR and get UKBF to clear you on your first landing, but you can stay airside as far as CV19 requirements are concerned…

Aerodrome_Designation_Status
Aerodrome_Designation_Status_Final_002_gf_pdf local copy

[ post cleaned up to remove huge URLs and huge images ]

Last Edited by Ibra at 09 Jul 18:29
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

“only is not permitted unless specific permission is granted "

There are at least two, maybe three possible interpretations of item seven. You couldn’t make up this stuff

Last Edited by Silvaire at 09 Jul 18:43

Silvaire wrote:

“only is not permitted unless specific permission is granted "

No no no…You didn’t read that right!

Specific permission doesn’t have to be granted. It only has to be requested!

The receipt of civil aircraft landing in the UK for refuelling only is not permitted unless specific permission is requested from the BF NFAU

By their stupid wording, requesting specific permission is enough

Last Edited by dublinpilot at 09 Jul 18:42
EIWT Weston, Ireland

I didn’t catch requested versus granted

One imagines they meant landing “for refueling only” is not permitted and not that refueling “only is not permitted unless” despite the ambiguity.

Its hilarious

Last Edited by Silvaire at 09 Jul 18:52

I think we got the message (joke: you can land if you fuel & eat, for fuel only it’s a request )

Last Edited by Ibra at 09 Jul 18:54
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Yes there is no legal requirement for a “permission”. The underlying law for the GAR form is a “notification”.

The police don’t like that, of course, and have a habit of phoning you at 3am with a “permission number”, although I have seen this disappear in the last year or two since it may have finally sunk in…

So the law does appear to say that without a GAR (or equivalent notification to a “police constable” – details here) you cannot land at all? Where is the underlying legislation?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There seems to be a difference here between what is required for Border Force wrt Customs/Immigration and what is required for Public Health England (or Scot/Wales/Ire). The GAR is a BF requirement. The Quarantine stuff is Public health, and it would not surprise me if BF are not aware of all the rules even though they may be enforcing them to a greater or lesser degree – they certainly are at Aberdeen Airport at the Passport/Customs check on inbounds, asking for all tests/exemptions/registration details etc.

I wrote to Grant Shapps, the Minister for Transport, and got this letter from Border Force:

IMHO it doesn’t answer the question at all whether a landing in the UK was actually prohibited.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The question is if there any NOTAM out at the time saying that international flights were restricted to these three airports. Because that would be a necessity to enforce this restriction.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message