Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Adding basemap Charts to ForeFlight

Spain is not in my downloaded list, so I don’t know.
But I can see VFR charts for several countries on top of the ones you mentioned (e.g. Germany, Switzerland, Austria, …).
I think it depends if the VFR AIP of the country is free or not, as I looked at SkyDemon too and the lack of charts is pretty consistent between SD and ForeFlight (although FF now displays Germany and SD still doesn’t).
I added the Jeppesen VFR charts (Bottlang) subscription to ForeFlight, not that expensive considering I’ve got alla charts for all airports in Europe in one package. This option is not available in SD.

EHLE LIMB, Netherlands

It’s around 90€ for all VFR Charts Europe.

always learning
LO__, Austria

QuoteYes I do, but nothing is downloaded for Spain.

Downloaded Spain (1.8GB). It shows the AIP charts now.

always learning
LO__, Austria

I have PP subscription but had basic before September, and didn’t get any problem with Europe VFR.
When you create a trip to Spain, once it is created, you have to pack it with all needed data, it should download all needed docs, does it actually do it?

LFMD, France

I had a similar experience to @johnh. I ended up purchasing the local maps for some places, like the NATS chart for the UK, which is a nice feature, but it means learning the syntax and legend for each separately. I also bought the Jepp VFR overlay (or was it included with the Jepp IFR package, I can’t remember), which was better than the standard ForeFlight display, but still not as good for VFR as the SkyDemon charts. I have heard quite a few people say: ForeFlight for IFR and SD for VFR.

Derek
Stapleford (EGSG), Denham (EGLD)

Sd VFR. FF IFR. But expect 900 bucks for all Europe IFR SD is a bargain at 120 quid and that covers nearly all Europe

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom

Pig wrote:

Sd VFR. FF IFR. But expect 900 bucks for all Europe IFR SD is a bargain at 120 quid and that covers nearly all Europe

Referring to one solution at base price and to the other with optional packages from Jeppesen isn’t a direct comparison.

FF doesn’t cost 900 bucks for all Europe. The additionally available Jeppesen charts do.

Does SD include all europe IFR Jeppesen charts at 120 quid?

Last Edited by Snoopy at 24 Sep 04:16
always learning
LO__, Austria

For years, Jepp for all of political Europe has always cost €2k (4 devices) or for some years now €900 (1 device). We have had countless threads on this – examples. There is a lot of confusion.

And it doesn’t matter how you buy it. One device being in the panel (via Garmin or Avidyne), or one device being an Ipad (JeppFD), or one device being a PC (Jeppview).

However I am told that now if you buy Foreflight, you can get Jepp terminal charts on 3 (three) devices. Don’t know if this applies only to the top ($300) FF subscription. Can anyone confirm this? But you can run them only on 3 Foreflight devices i.e. 3 Ipads (since FF is available only on an Ipad, if (a) in Europe and (b) you want Jepp charts… another long story… Jepp won’t supply their charts to any vendor running on Android).

The other terminal charts are the free national AIP ones, which are variously described as “crap”, “confusing”, or “ok because they are free”

Why FF are not participating here, I have no idea. They had the privilege of running a huge long thread here promoting their product!!! But hey it’s like the Autorouter. Use EuroGA to promote it and then vanish. I allowed FF here because it looked like it would be a useful backup for the AR, and we do very much need a Plan B for when AR disappears (Rocketroute is the other but is quite pricey) but I don’t know if FF ever got there. I had a sub for some months or a year but never got much in the way of useful IFR routes out of it, and the package was buggy as hell. It wasn’t possible to generate a route for a range of levels because whenever you set the numbers, it would change them back.

Actually I suspect FF have largely given up on Europe, realising it is a lot of work for little money. They want to do it all with the US-market app but that isn’t possible because so much in Europe is different.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I did get an answer from FF, which was very helpful. Trying to navigate through the maze of add-ons at https://www.foreflight.com/europe/data/ , as far as I can tell:

- you can get the Jepp VFR procedure charts (“same as Bottlang” apparently though that doesn’t help me much) for €90
- you can buy Rogers Data per country for €30-90 per country, depending on which country
- you can buy DFS for all of Europe for €150

Last Edited by johnh at 24 Sep 08:18
LFMD, France
Sign in to add your message