Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Robert Courts interview (UK Minister for Aviation)

Peter wrote:

GA’s problem is the image: a mostly shagged fleet, disorganised schools, an utterly dreadful and inappropriate syllabus (I have been helping my son with PPL theory and I am horrified at the utter crap which is in the exams, maintained by a load of ex RAF old farts who have never been past the crease in the map, and which will make anybody with a brain wonder WTF they are doing learning this), most people dropping out right away, a near-useless social scene which has almost no women and the men are mostly cantankerous old codgers (like myself ), etc. Most of the schools are nearly bankrupt and always have been – example.
Is the situation really so bad in the UK and so different from – let’s say – Germany?!
Switzerland

There are many good schools in the UK but the majority are operating ageing fleets and their finances are pretty much on the edge.

Is Germany really so different? If it was, it should have an order of magnitude more GA activity post-PPL, but clearly it doesn’t, and neither does France. Some numbers can be found here.

I think the whole industry has deep structural issues with moving forward in “modern society” and the same discussions are seen in the domestic forums of each country. There will be differences in the way they need to be approached and these will reflect differences in national history, funding organisation, culture, etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The local flying school seemed to be doing well, upgrading planes, diversifying into gyros, adding fuel, maintenance, and handling agency for smaller GA. They seemed busy.
But what the situation is now, with Covid-19, I don’t know.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Is Germany really so different? If it was, it should have an order of magnitude more GA activity post-PPL, but clearly it doesn’t, and neither does France.
Well, we have quite a few young people in Germany, obtaining some kind of GA license (sailplane, PPL, microlight etc.). For sure, male pilots are the majority, but each aeroclub I know has also some active females. Germany has in general quite a social club culture, which is not just limited to flying clubs. Many sailplane clubs even “survive” because of engaged youth groups, which is also sometimes a problem, when young people leave their homes for their studies, and thus also their aeroclubs. To find new teenagers, interested in soaring, is not always easy and comes often in “waves”.

Regarding exams: If I look back at my personal PPL theoretical exam, the questions were actually not that bad. Yes, there was some unpractical stuff to learn, but I cannot complain about “utter crap” within the exams. The two practical exams I had (one for TMG, one for SEP), were both very close to reality and with some good “take away” moments for my practical “daily” pilot life.

“Thanks” to Covid, several flying schools are booming at the moment for LAPL, PPL, and especially UL (microlights). The lockdowns don’t make it easy to have proper practical lessons, but it’s a good sign that people have found their interest in flying. The general numbers may still not be satisfying, but GA is certainly also not almost dead. In addition, Germany has a very GA-friendly airspace, including an active lobby from the main German aeroclub (DAeC), to keep the skies clear of new class C or D TMA’s. Yes, we still have this useless “Flugleiter” rule, and some other strange rules (e.g. “ZÜP”), but in the end, Germany is really not a bad country for GA.
Switzerland

Full statement

As I said, nothing new that I can see.

Administrator

Out situation very much mirrors yours @Frans except that we don’t have the “Flugleiter” or “Zup” rules.
The ULM scene and the non EASA experimental/kit/ construction amateur/orphans/ collection aircraft seems to be really going great here.
The gliding club is full of young people both sexes, even though they cannot have convivial gatherings in the club house just yet.

France

both sexes … convivial gatherings

That sounds really interesting. Tell us more

Administrator

Ahh yes I used the French conviviality which is the expression used for getting together for social things like a meal a picnic, bbq, aperitif etc.
It’s something we do regularly within aeroclubs of one sort or another. During July and August for instance, without Covid there would normally be a social get together at the club every day, for lunch in between flights.
If you are asking about the sexes. Well, everyone is equal here. We have as many female instructors as we do male.
Sadly the (I was going to write male members). But in an attempt avoid the double sentence we have a membership 2thirds male to 1third female.

France

gallois wrote:

young people both sexes

Slight gallicism here, you mean both genders.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

Xtophe wrote:

you mean both genders.

You mean ALL genders !

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message