Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Options for the last mile - ground transport in the UK

Peter wrote:

I have always just called a taxi.

Sometimes they seem to charge a premium to airfields: I parked at Gloucestershire for a long weekend once, and paid more in taxi fares to the train station just 3 miles away than I did in landing and parking fees at the airfield.

After that I just started renting cars, a day’s car rental was cheaper than a taxi ride to the station and back.

Last Edited by alioth at 21 Apr 10:24
Andreas IOM

paid more in taxi fares to the train station just 3 miles away than I did in landing and parking fees at the airfield.

I find that completely normal, and expect it everywhere. It is to do with public expectations; taxi drivers make a great deal of money if they can get a high utilisation.

Otherwise, with bigger airports, the bus is a good way. Usually very cheap, and because it is slow you see more of the area

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Or some smaller ones. Manchester Barton has a pretty frequent bus service to central Manchester.

Andreas IOM

Price is irrelevant if taxis are not available, I spent 1h30min in Beccles cloubhouse eating junk food while calling & waiting for a rare taxi on Sunday afternoon to get to Lowestoft to see Red Arrows on the beach, we missed half of the airshow, the wife was looking to “quit flying” after that trip but she decided we should buy folding bikes instead, we ordered them the next week, since then it’s happy life, except going uphill in Trouville

Last Edited by Ibra at 21 Apr 11:44
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

alioth wrote:

paid more in taxi fares to the train station just 3 miles away than I did in landing and parking fees at the airfield.

For this reason we have our Bromptons with us. It’s strange that Germans point this out to the Brits.
Peter wrote:

Currently I carry an FFP3 mask for any taxi ride.

I would not be so optimistic:
https://wsau.com/2021/04/20/stanford-study-results-facemasks-are-ineffective-in-blocking-transmission-of-covid-and-actually-can-cause-health-deterioration-and-premature-death/

Berlin, Germany

That article about masks is pure garbage.

the wife was looking to “quit flying” after that trip

Indeed; this is a key aspect of “flying with family”. One often has to do things differently when flying with people whose company you value but who are willing to chuck in GA travel

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

That article about masks is pure garbage.

Interesting. I think you can justify that in more detail.

Berlin, Germany

highflyer wrote:

I would not be so optimistic:
https://wsau.com/2021/04/20/stanford-study-results-facemasks-are-ineffective-in-blocking-transmission-of-covid-and-actually-can-cause-health-deterioration-and-premature-death/

Did you actually read this crock of BS? Written by one guy with unknown provenance and originally published in a paper happy to publish “speculative hypotheses” and, in the case of your link, wrongfully attributed to Stanford.

Last Edited by Cobalt at 22 Apr 01:07
Biggin Hill

highflyer wrote:

For this reason we have our Bromptons with us. It’s strange that Germans point this out to the Brits.

We have Bromptons now. You don’t need to point it out :-) But for some people they only really work in the flat parts of the UK.

Andreas IOM

Did you go for the six speed, two speed or full on single speed Shoreditch eligible Brompton :)

A German gentleman has been round the world a couple of times on his Brompton

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message