Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cars (all fuels and electric)

This may be a nice shot in the arm for EV adoption.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

An electric motor (3 phase brushless) from a KIA, probably 150HP or so. Shows how compact these are. I don’t know whether it is permanent magnet or with field windings.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hard to see what size this is. Could you put a person in the picture (like the giant ship’s diesel engines) or a peanut or something?

Surely there are always field windings? Permanent magnet motors have a magnet as the rotor, not the stator?

LFMD, France
Brushless motors got – no brushes. So I cannot see any other type than with a magnet rotor and three static field systems run by a driver controller. Standard in all e-bikes or model aircrafts . Some of these got the magnet /field inversed, with static field inside and magnet ring and prop spinning around the lot. That Kia type is watercooled, again, same with RC aero motors. Vic
Last Edited by vic at 07 Dec 16:52
vic
EDME

It is about 40cm long left to right.

Totally brushless does mean permanent magnet, but it could have slip rings.

Administrator
Slip rings – and no brushes ?? Vic
vic
EDME

Totally brushless does mean permanent magnet,

Not so – “asynchronous” motors have a rotating field, produced by static windings and clever electronics, and a non-magnetic metal disk. The rotating field induces a current in the disk, which then gets rotated by the field. The drawback is that there must be SOME slip, for the eddy current to get generated. For some reason these are universal for the big stuff (trains, trams) but not in cars.

Last Edited by johnh at 07 Dec 20:07
LFMD, France

That is a standard AC motor, which in the single phase variant uses a starting capacitor

But these have nowhere near the power to weight of a 3 phase electronically commutated motor with permanent magnets mounted on a decent radius

That motor (the KIA pic) does look like it isn’t an outrunner

so it is probably like this one – magnets in the rotor

That KIA motor can rev very fast I reckon, because there is a gearbox. If you have no gears then the large diameter (like the Siemens one, 2nd image) is the way to go.

Yes; slip rings have brushes too but they last a very long time.

Administrator

Well, I have to say good bye to my car of 23 years today as it would be uneconomical to pass it through the Swiss MoT inspection, given the price of labour and parts.

This Toyota Camry V6 rolled off the assembly line in 1997. Since then it’s accumulated 315’600 km. I aquired it with 60’000 km so I have done 250’000 with it.

Letting go of this car is much harder than I thought. In the 23 years I was it’s custodian, it did not let me down once. Beyond normal maintenance, there was not a single snag which would leave me stranded, nor was it ever late out of maintenance. It’s V6 engine had this quiet reassuring sound, practically without vibration and it will be the last car I ever own which had full leather seats, in which a 6 hour drive would seem like 2. I would say the fact that you can drive a car like this over a time period of 23 years says a lot about the workmanship and the technical quality involved.

What makes me angry is that phasing out these cars by imposing “better than new” standards to the MoT exams in the name of carbon footprint does exactly nothing. There was nothing in this car which was obviously broken, the items which produced the outrageous estimate were pretty normal such as exhaust, brakes e.t.c. but the fact that they all were up together made for a bill which my family felt was beyond economical reason. Given the chance (and I hope it will be exported to a country where it will be appreciated and allowed to do what it does best) it will serve a new owner another 20 years with ease.

So in a few hours it’s farewell to the 3rd car I’ve owned. What I know for sure that it’s replacement won’t be with me anywhere as long and while technically interesting, won’t be anywhere as durable and with the same flair. I had honestly hoped the Camry would be my last car, but it was not to be.

All I can say is a large Thank You to this exceptional vehicle, to the people who have maintained it for 23 years (same service) and to Toyota for building this amazing cars. I will receive my new (to me) RAV4 this afternoon from the same man who sold me the Camry 23 years ago, I suppose another statement of continuity.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I will receive my new (to me) RAV4 this afternoon

Good luck with the RAV4. We just ordered a new one, PHEV which is the only way to avoid the French Malus charge.

LFMD, France
Sign in to add your message