Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airports and subsidies

Airborne_Again wrote:

is overstating it a bit

Agreed. Not true everywhere. Should probably have written “in a number of European countries”.

LSZK, Switzerland

LeSving wrote:

There is no law saying we have to adopt EU regulations. In fact, every single EU regulation has to be approved unanimously in parliament.

I know that EU regulations formally have to be approved by parliament in Norway, but what happens if it doesn’t approve of some regulation? The EU dislikes cherrypicking.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

The EU dislikes cherrypicking.

Except when it comes to choosing what of its own rules it wants to follow. Greece obviously cooking the books to get into the euro, loans supporting governments, allowing favoured countries to break the budget rules, etc.

I would be interested to know if there had been a case where Norway hadn’t approved a regulation too. The discussion about monopoly stuff I think we had some time ago on airfields and handling was interesting, did it ever get anywhere?

Rwy20 wrote:

I can’t see a single politician being elected with this program. So why do we accept this nonsense as fact for airports?

I think the answer here is .. “drumroll”… Greta… and all the other do gooders who brought us COVID through their promotion of public transport (canning as many people in as small a space as possible to transport all of them to the same size of space somewhere else to spend the day) activism against single use plastic (lack of hygiene in offices, public events, etc to help spread diseases) and cramming people into often un air-conditioned, unfiltered air containing spaces, because anything done to the air uses energy, and that, is bad… Rant over :-)

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

but what happens if it doesn’t approve of some regulation? The EU dislikes cherrypicking.

In most cases the Norwegian government/parliament are more eager to follow EU regulations than most EU countries I mean seriously. We like to be best in everything, and it’s the same with EU regulations. Completely koko og course

But, to their defense, the EEA agreement only applies to certain stuff. It does not apply to fishing and agriculture for instance. And there is an armada of Norwegian lobbyists in Bruxelles.

I think it has happened only once that EU regulations hasn’t been approved. That is EASA regulations regarding commercial helicopter operations. I think what happened in the end was EASA changed the regulations to fit the Norwegian regulations.

There were also a thing about road tunnels. EU has regulations regarding escape routes, fire fighting and so on. We have thousands of tunnels in mountains, and to change them to be according to EU regulations would be insanely expensive, if not outright practically impossible. Lobbyist managed to change those regulations as well. I listened to this on the radio while commuting. These tunnel regulations were particularly hard. The lobbying involved inviting EU bureaucrats to Norway, several times for nice trips, good eating etc etc.

And I think that is basically how it works. The lobbyists manages to do the the needed lobbying and change stuff accordingly before it enters parliament as regulations to vote on. Rather undemocratic and on the boarder to corrupt, but it’s how it works.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

@LeSving, lobbying is rampant in all western governments, including Norway. I well remember the Acid Rain situation.
@LFHNflightstudent I can agree with much of what you write but not on single use plastics. A quick trip to India and you will see how much of this huge country is being overrun with plastic.Huge mountains of it lining roads and once beautiful beaches consisting of more plastic than sand. The same is true of other Asian countries. Much of this plastic emanates in the richer countries of the west.If these countries said no more and blocked the import of other people’s waste plastic or even limited it, Europe and the USA would soon notice and begin demanding that something is done, whatever the cost.

France
46 Posts
Sign in to add your message