Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

The excess mortality in 2020 compared with the average in 2016-2019

Norway, as the only country in Europe, has a negative excess mortality rate. This should mean the year 2020 was the most healthy year the last 4 years

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

kwlf wrote:

many have contraindications e.g. recent Covid

Are they now taking that into account? I was wondering about this issue, since the vaccine trials excluded people with recent or ongoing infection. In December I read official recommendations to get vaccinated no matter what, even if someone had already had the virus. What are the medical guidelines around this, what’s considered “recent”?

Here they say no vaccine to be given within 28 days of a positive CV19 test.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Not sure if it mentioned how recent the positive test was, but in France they are saying you only need one jab if you have previously tested positive for Covid (and presumably recovered). I would say this sounds logical if an antibody test proves it, but that hasnt been discussed to my knowledge.

I don’t think they are saying you wont get a second jab if you have already recovered from Covid, only that there can be a longer delay between 1st and 2nd doses, perhaps even as long as 6 months. But is this science or politics?

France

gallois wrote:

But is this science or politics?

Everything about the reaction(s) to Covid is politics. Herein lies the problem.

In contrast to West Sussex, only 61% of over 70s have been vaccinated in Westminster in the London Northwest CCG.

However, it’s the ONS that comes up with the population estimates, and their most recent estimate is for mid-2019.

As has been widely reported, London’s population has shrunk during the epidemic (foreigners alone accounted for a 10% shrinkage) so I wouldn’t take that 61% too seriously.

I wonder how many moved to West Sussex? ;-)

White Waltham EGLM, United Kingdom

LeSving wrote:

Norway, as the only country in Europe, has a negative excess mortality rate. This should mean the year 2020 was the most healthy year the last 4 years

Good job, Norway, I’d say…

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

I may have overlooked it, but apparently nobody here posted the two crucial news of the last few days:

To me, this only further confirms that – given the data we have so far – this is the best vaccine available and should be mass-produced by every pharmaceutical company that could do it (Sanofi has already announced they will do it).

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

That’s an amazing find; the low temp storage.

I wonder how the AZ vaccine compares? Both are very similar in preventing severe disease – close to 100% – and the AZ one is fine with a 2nd dose at 3 months.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message