Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

I’m having my first jab in two week’s time. I don’t know what vaccine I’ll get. Probably not AZ (although I wouldn’t mind) as Sweden has decided it is for 65+ only.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Had my first AZ jab 10 days ago and will get the second one beginning of July. The timing was good for Aero, but alas..
Slight side effect that lasted less than 12 hours. Light in the head and some headache.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Pfizer certainly were, for Q1, well behind on the original targets just like AZ.

As with any target that it is politically expedient to declare met, I don’t doubt that much jiggery-pokery goes on to be able to declare a particular position with a semi-straight face. The EC is obviously at pains to declare that Pfizer have met targets – it is the backbone of their campaign and upsetting them is not an option, and also the “Pfizer good, AZ bad” narrative is critical to justifying to the EU population why there are three months behind where they should be.

Regardless of all this, one thing you can be sure of is that AZ will be absolutely delighted to hear the EC is not taking up the option.

The UK continues doing approx. half a million doses per day, of which 80% are second doses at the moment. Thierry Breton’s comments a few weeks ago about where the UK would end up with second doses appears not to have come true: relative to population the UK has over twice as many people double-jabbed as France/Germany and is accelerating away rapidly. Further tinkering with the dosing schedule appears politically difficult, but one does wonder if it might be advisable to stretch the 12 weeks further in certain lower-risk groups and keep the number getting a single jab rising rather than flattening out at around 50% of the population for too long. After all, a look at infections/hospitalisations/deaths makes it abundantly clear that getting a single jab into a critical mass of the population is what has made the difference. Johnson recently gave us some nonsense about “it is mostly the lockdown, not the vaccine” but that was just messaging to try and stop us all going completely nuts when the pubs opened last week.

Last Edited by Graham at 22 Apr 15:53
EGLM & EGTN

First Biotech-Jab today – so far so good

Germany

Malibuflyer wrote:

First Biotech-Jab today – so far so good

Great news! Is there any no-fly period in Germany?

EGLM & EGTN

Graham wrote:

Pfizer certainly were, for Q1, well behind on the original targets just like AZ.

Where are you seeing this? I’m not saying you’re wrong, I’d just like to know if you found a reliable source.
I ask because I tried to find such a reliable source for the promise v the actual deliveries, and failed to find anything more than press reports. They indicate Pfizer is well ahead of promises but I’d like to find something more authoritive than the press!

EIWT Weston, Ireland

dublinpilot wrote:

Where are you seeing this?

Same as you, just in the press (back then). One example of an old article here and another here.

In any case, I believe that comments about supplier commitments/promises, castigating a company as unreliable, etc. show evidence of the same approach to vaccine procurement that got the EC into this mess: behaving purely as a customer and treating this like any normal business situation. What the UK government did differently was basically to go into business with a vaccine supplier – helping them establish a supply chain and funding at-risk production well before the product was approved.

EGLM & EGTN

Graham wrote:

Great news! Is there any no-fly period in Germany?

Medical is suspended for 48hrs if no side effects show up (and you need to consult your doc if they do).

Germany

MedEwok wrote:

I’m more surprised at the news today that Germany is planning to order Sputnik V as well.

Well, after the press and other hubbub about AZ, guess how many will prefer Sputnik if given the choice.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I thought I might post this article from a local Australian newspaper.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/highest-day-of-quarantine-cases-all-year-as-officials-eye-growing-overseas-cases-20210423-p57lrb.html

Keeping in mind everyone that enters hotel quarantine had a negative PCR test within 3 days or arriving,
This is of course all a bit anecdotal, but if you think vacinne passports and negative test are enough to stop the spread of covid 19 I would say you will be disappointed

BTW I got vaccinated the first day that i was able to choosing the AZ vaccine rather than wait.

Last Edited by Ted at 23 Apr 17:33
Ted
United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message