Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

No idea. Could be a combination of stupidity and politics; a lot of the infections in cities point to specific ethnic communities.

Justine found this site. Takes a while to load, due to the huge client-side javascript code.

If you put the desired regions into the UTLA box and 1 in the interval box you see the daily figures… possibly. A weird site – a typical crappy IT project.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think there’s a UK Gov open data site that has an API so you can roll your own dashboard if you know how to write code.

Andreas IOM

Thanks Peter – it loads very quickly for me, but doesnt seem to give any real granularity to the data, or am I missing something?

I think there’s a UK Gov open data site that has an API so you can roll your own dashboard if you know how to write code.

Yes I think somebody good at this could work out the API from the URL I posted above.

but doesnt seem to give any real granularity to the data

The geographical resolution is much reduced; indeed. No doubt that is intentional.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Yet, France must have this data, for localised measures like mandating masks in the Le Touquet city centre.

The only data I have found is for deaths/hospitalizations/Intensive Care/Returned to home basis on the government site for
Departments

I think that is the one posted earlier – looks similar.

Administrator

Is it just me, but if you believe the UK Government wishes to engage with its citizens, is it so strange to ask that we should be able to see how our specific area is doing, and why arent the press all over this. Out and about today as needs must it is my distinct impression everyone thinks this has all gone away. I hope they are right, but very much doubt it. It is in its way depressing.

We returned from Denmark today (by car). At the border, there was a huge Covid-19 test station right next to the Autobahn, on the German side.

Germany is now offering free Covid-19 PCR tests to all citizens returning from abroad. For those returning from Covid-19 high risk areas as defined by the RKI, these tests are mandatory, starting today. They are offered at all international airports in Germany, and other selected entry points.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

@Fuji_Abound wrote:

why arent the press all over this.

See Germany crime statistics 2015 vs 2016 and all the press surrounding that for a great example.

Much bigger theme though, and I’m guessing more than a few on here will not have the ability to comprehend reality if it’s put in plain text.

The press also stopped trying to be impartial about a decade ago. Article on Objectivity
Objectivity in the era of Social Media
Objectivity according to SJWs
Objectivity is being lost

Anyway, it’s a thread drift, so I’ll leave it

Last Edited by AF at 09 Aug 00:59

why arent the press all over this.

I think it is a number of factors:

• a generally low calibre of people working in the news channels
  • the producer has to steer a carefully PC line so many topics have to be carefully avoided
  • a requirement to appeal to the thickest part of society, so complex issues cannot be presented at all
  • visual media makes it easy to conceal a lack of content (can’t do that on a radio programme!)

I am sure this problem exists everywhere – it is a sign of modern times, the attention span of an ant, and PC.

This is why for example, in the UK, the newspaper which often gets the real stories is this one which is otherwise full of unbelievable trash.

The Q of why detailed stats are not being released is probably one which cannot be asked, now that the numbers are low enough to identify specific parts of cities, etc. For some time they have been hacking data for the countryside (and said so) where the cases were in single figures – for “data protection” reasons, which has to be bollox, just like the CAA resisting the publishing of this data “due to GDPR” until they got some FOIA requests.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message