Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

kwlf wrote:

The problem with self determination is that you need to be in possession of your faculties in order to express your wishes.

There is a way to assure that and it’s to make a ‘living will’ (or ‘advanced decision’ as it’s also called). I think everyone should have one, I certainly do.

This removed the burden of end-of-life decision making from the next of kin and the treating medical professionals.

It clearly was personal and directed at me as you said the very people that I think can be sacrificed for the economy. You were telling me what I think. but happy to accept your apology.

In the present situation, yes I would say the same if I crashed into a mountain well away from anywhere, there are certain risks you take and have to accept. I’d be OK with being able to go fly solo in my own aircraft (no infection risk to anyone) and have no search and rescue come for me if I was to have an accident.

I don’t have a problem with people assessing and taking on risks themselves, but actions can come with consequences, expecting a government to fix everything for me doesn’t sit well.

Expecting a government to have much of any meaningful role in Coronavirus doesn’t sit well with me… given that mainly the role is very expensive blabber combined with restricting people’s rights to responsibly manage their own risk in collaboration with paid non-government service providers.

I don’t need any ‘help’ at all from government in this situation, thanks very much.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 12 Apr 21:38

Austria:
350 deaths
600.000 unemployed (double the number of unemployed compared to financial crisis effects of 2009).
After three weeks the only change is that now wearing masks in supermarkets (over 400m2 floor area) is mandatory.

An interesting article can be found here
In german
Translated English

Some Excerpts:

Another idea is to use technology such as a worldwide “handshake app”? Could help in quickly stopping infection clusters while keeping the economy going.
Obviously only for those that are at a minor risk and don’t need to self isolate.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Silvaire wrote:

Expecting a government to have much of any meaningful role in Coronavirus doesn’t sit well with me… given that mainly the role is very expensive blabber combined with restricting people’s rights to responsibly manage their own risk in collaboration with paid non-government service providers.

I don’t need any ‘help’ at all from government in this situation, thanks very much.

Silvaire, could you please spare us your constant libertarian ideology? We are all aware of it by now and it’s just so out of touch with reality. This is an European GA forum and most Europeans have a different view of the role of government than you do. The way the pandemic is affecting the US is also demonstrating quite tragically how a libertarian – or in this case, populist – approach to the virus can do more harm than good. The US already is, and will probably remain, the worst affected country in this crisis, thanks to its complete failure to deliver a robust public – and that means the state – approach.

You are free to have your opinion, but you are also free to recognize when the right moment has come not to constantly trumpet it out loud.
I value your insights into aviation and your general life experience, which is both far ahead of mine, but getting constantly bombarded by a political message that the vast majority of people here do not subscribe to is getting tiresome.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

There is a way to assure that and it’s to make a ‘living will’ (or ‘advanced decision’ as it’s also called). I think everyone should have one, I certainly do.

I think it’s a good idea in general, but only solves half the problem. It still leaves the question of what to do about the person who wants to stay in intensive care indefinitely, even if brain-dead. And many people for whatever reason will claim that they would want this.

There are also people who claim they would rather be left to die than have to live with an amputation that they would probably get used to.

@Medewok, fairly obviously the US as a whole is doing very well so far. The data (facts are often useful) indicates an infection rate less than Europe as a whole and largely (i.e. 50% or more) contained to one area on the east coast, closer to Europe both geographically and in its authoritarian polices.

Most of the rest of the US is now already adjusting economically and starting to recover. Europe and to a lesser degree some aspects of the US are meanwhile setting themselves up for economic failure for years to come. Maybe facing up to that might be helpful? For most people who don’t live a sheltered life paid by the taxpayer, it is about to become their reality.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 12 Apr 23:50

Silvaire wrote:

Most of the rest of the US is now already adjusting economically and starting to recover.

Not sure that is true based on what my friends with businesses across the US are telling me. There is no recovery yet. Right now everyone is trying to get govt money just like over here.

Silvaire wrote:

@Medewok, fairly obviously the US as a whole is doing very well so far, infection rate less than Europe as a whole and largely (i.e. 50% or more) contained to one area on the east coast, with its well known authoritarian polices.

No-one knows infection rates anywhere. US states are like a bunch of small countries and each is at a different stage of the crisis. Time will tell how it goes there. Do you think the Federal and State governments have done a good job there?

EGTK Oxford

I don’t what a “good job” would be. I don’t think the US state and Federal Governments have performed a particularly useful function (“a good job”) in relation to Corona Virus, and I think it’s a naive fallacy that they could (or should) do so. I’m deeply concerned that the $2 or 3 or 4 trillion being spent by the Feds will be a waste of taxpayers money, as it largely was after the recession 10 years ago. At my base one of the taxiways was recovered with that money for $1.2 million, it looked good when they finished, just as it did before they started.. The money had to be spent, and meanwhile the government debt keeps climbing and climbing and… ready to collect interest to be paid by people not yet born.

My view of the initiating recovery is probably colored by my location to some degree (I’m definitely not in New York) but certainly everybody I know is looking at exactly what they can do now, doing it, and looking to do more ASAP. For example (examples are good) in my little world I am using local contractors to remodel a rental, tenants having evaporated and moved at the end of March. It’s maybe a $40K job and keeps some people busy while they would otherwise be in a lull. Meanwhile my observation is that new potential tenants are now coming out of hiding, so to speak. From my POV this is of course all focused on getting $2800/month rent back on line, using contractors now while they are available.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 13 Apr 00:29

[ offensive post deleted ]

Sign in to add your message