Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Electronic ignition - huge benefits claimed

Yes – that needs a login and faffing around.

Commercial people don’t like to detail this stuff because they make money doing it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

So can a SureFly mag be fitted to an EASA aircraft?

I think you can on G-reg aircraft, by asking CAA for one off validation

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Yes it can. A friend of mine did it on his D-reg Mooney.

I think you can on G-reg aircraft, by asking CAA for one off validation

He used this route with EASA. Was 200€ IIRC.

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

Thank you.

@Bathman if you are interested send me a PM with your email address and I’ll get you in contact with my friend. I’m sure he’ll be happy to share his experience.

We‘ve the SureFly installed since last November in our N-reg Mooney. I thought I’d give a little report but unfortunately our mount got a new interior in December and is now in for a paint job and therefore we almost didn’t fly. What I can tell from the ten hours or so is really positive. Our Conti was always easy to start, even when hot but now it’s even better. The engine fires up on the first power stroke. We have the newest revision of the SureFly and it works fine on 28V. No problem at all with mag checks, absolutely no back fire. The engine runs noticeably smoother on the SureFly than on the conventional mag.

Mooneys‘ engine compartments are really cramped and therefore it’s not always an easy install, owners will certainly want to check MS where there are reports on various models, including one from me.

We’ve an E.I. engine monitor and info on the web is a bit ambiguous about the installation. I found, that a .1uF capacitor instead of the ‘insulator‘ for the P-lead works fine.

Noteworthy for us Europeans: The SureFly web site says, US customers can order with them, international customers will have to order via Spruce. I sent them an email and asked what version I could get from Spruce, and they told me not the most recent one, this would only be available directly from them. They agreed to ship a device to Germany after asking three times if an FAA 8130-3 was really the documentation I needed.

Last Edited by terbang at 23 Feb 20:13
EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

I see the Surefly magneto now has FAA approval for the Socata TB series

Do you mean this one (the D3000 dual magneto, which Electroair evidently had loads of problems developing) or do you mean the Surefly one, which I believe is applicable only to the TB9 which used two separate mags (which this thread is largely about, when it comes to actual installations)?

Interesting Aviation Consumer article

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

From here

Side question, for you who have electronic ignition in your airplanes:
do you have 2 electronic, or 1 electronic + 1 “old-style” magneto?

What do you think of the operation of 1 electronic + 1 magneto?
In my case, I will need to keep at least one magneto due to the engine monitor.

Thanks!
Etienne

etn
EDQN, Germany

Dual EI in my steed.
Not sure what the engine monitor’s got to do with the mag or EI, but having 1 EI and 1 mag is way better than 2 mags… you will get most of the advantages of EI. Be sure to have the EI fire the bottom plugs.

Which brings me to mention yet another advantage of EI, the use of automotive plugs. Comes annual (or condition inspection), or by the hours, just bin the plugs and buy new ones at the fraction of aviation plugs expense

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message