Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Getting the "leans"...

Always there, like a monkey (and not an angel) on my shoulder... in solid imc, makes it interesting.

Fortunately the sensation is strongly identifiable & predictable, a feeling of spinning downwards, probably a good thing they failed to demonstrate full spin recovery in ppl training, or did I miss that particular lesson... :-D

Enjoy, Frank

Solid IMC is not a real problem so far because there is nothing but instruments but when you're in IMC but can see cloud shapes and they give you a line which is not horizontal, then it gets really confusing. My brain is then trying to perceive a horizon and tells me I'm banked.

In my experience, it's best to not look outside when you are in marginal VMC.

Achimha agreed, that works for me too. I just 'lock & scan' the T dials and smile as I glance at the 6 pack back-up, rock & roll.

I agree - marginal IMC is bad. Also snow is very disorientating.

Actually it's funny to note how often there is NO horizon at all on a perfectly nice summer day. I flew yesterday and Monday. Both very nice days, and no horizon on both of them. Over the sea, there would not be any references at all.

It makes me wonder why some level of instrument flying is not incorporated into the PPL. After all I would never teach somebody I care about to fly unless they could do this. Probably the reason for the omission is that people might use it for real.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It makes me wonder why some level of instrument flying is not incorporated into the PPL

It is, or it was in the UK 7 years ago when I was training. I recall at least one exercise flying on instruments in IMC and on-top, with a descent back in IMC to a VOR near where I am based. Plus there were a few more hours on VOR navigation, some which I am sure required use of a proper instrument scan. Is it not included any more?

I had basic instrument work trained in my PPL as well in Australia. There must be some.

EGTK Oxford

The required instrument training is a 180 degree turn back on instruments, from when I did mine (2000/2001).

Obviously an individual instructor can teach more if you and he are up for it. I got some VOR tracking in mine.

As regards radio navigation, it was a position fix using two VOR radials. No DME.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There was very few instrument flying during my PPL training in 2010. I did some "under the hood" work only once, for maybe 10 minutes.

Flying legal in IMC requires an IR rated instructor, a valid flightplan and a IFR certified machine. I guess that's the main reason why it's not incorporated in the PPL training... A lot of instructors don't have an IR, and the aircraft is VFR only...

Stick a hood on the student. You don't need to do it in IMC for PPL purposes.

EGTK Oxford

I got the leans a little bit the other day when flying a short leg between two islands in Greece. There was no wind and too much haze all over the place, and as soon as I lost sight of the land (Greek and Turkish coasts), whenever I looked outside I found out that I was starting to turn a little bit. I tried to remedy it by keeping the hand holding the yoke at a specific elbow angle on the door's side area, which helped a little (C172). It was interesting.

LGMT (Mytilene, Lesvos, Greece), Greece
Sign in to add your message