Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Gelnhausen Airshow 2024

I rarely go to see airshows. They are always more or less the same, at least within Germany. Just look at how old this post is…

This weekend, the Gelnhausen “Flugplatzkerb”; the biggest fly-in/airshow/party thing in the greater Frankfurt area is on. It takes place every June.

The weather was just too good to not go: very sunny, some wind, not too hot at all (20 degrees). Perfect for an airshow visit.
It’s only 30 minutes by car from Frankfurt, so it didn’t make sense to go there by plane. Here is a little pictorial. A video is at the end.

Simply always nice to look at: Stearmans.

A folded Corsair.

The P51 Mustang.
The food/family entertainment part of the event.

The stage for the evening music acts.

RC model department.

This nice thing about Gelnhausen is that it is located on a 20-mile final for Frankfurt EDDF, so during the airshow, one can often also see big airliners approaching.

The Junkers A50 Junior was also on display.

An amazing aircraft, the Messerschmitt Bf 108 „Taifun“. This one is dedicated to the amazing Elly Beinhorn.

I also passed through the “normal” visitors flighline. A PZL Wilga.

Camping pilots…

Beech T-34 Mentor.

This little Grumman Cheetah has flown VFR across the Atlantic twice a couple of years ago.

Anyway, back to the airshow action. The Catalina just before touchdown.

An RV for Dan.
The two SIAI Marchettis in action.

The two are father and son. In the Breitscheid report from 2015 that I linked above, you can see the son was still flying a model SIAI alongside the real one of his father. In the meantime, they have built another SF260 from parts.

Anyway, here is the video:

Last Edited by boscomantico at 15 Jun 20:13
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

This little Grumman Cheetah has flown VFR across the Atlantic twice a couple of years ago.

It’s a Traveler, not a Cheetah, recogizable by the different appearance of the tail and cowling, but given the associated 37 versus 52 USG fuel capacity and 6 kt lower speed on the same power that makes it even more an achievement.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 15 Jun 19:47

Thanks. Of course. I meant to write Traveler, but wrote Cheetah. As you say, that is why it is even more astounding. The pilot was also very novice. She wrote a book (in German) about it, and there were a couple of sketchy flights, to say the least. A few more infos in English here.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 15 Jun 20:03
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thanks, enjoyed reading about and looking at the pictures of the airshow.

always learning
LO__, Austria

I rarely go to see airshows

Same here, though it has become more of never rather than rarely… age helping, life’s become too short to watch other fly rather than doing so yourself as long as you still can.

Life’s short – Enjoy!

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Do you get a landing slot still? Maybe I’d go tomorrow, but couldn’t find information about available slots

Germany

Sadly there was an accident this morning of an approaching visitor and the airfield closed, at least for a time. Only local newspaper articles available that contain no further details.

The pilot got severely injured, according to the news.

It was a v-tail Bonanza.

Last Edited by UdoR at 16 Jun 13:38
Germany

Got a message on the EBS board that the pilot, member of EBS, got injured but will recover. The plane is junk but he is ok.

LOWI,LIPB, Italy
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message