Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

G1000 Traffic Advisory System - passengers

Hi everyone,

I fly a C206 and find that the TAS annunciations leave the passengers a bit stressed. By any chance, do you know if it’s possible to turn off traffic annunciations for the passengers only?

Thanks in advance.

Fernando

EGSU, United Kingdom

There should be an isolation button on your audio panel but that would cut them off completely from the intercom as well.

EGTK Oxford

I don’t know whether you could achieve it on an Intercom system isolation selection – perhaps ‘crew’ on a G1000 for example?

Now retired from forums best wishes

Yes, intercom isolation does work, but as mentioned by Jason, that option does isolate the pilot from the passengers.

I was wondering if something “in between” could be achieved, but I don’t high hopes.

Today I got a funny reaction from a passenger when the G1000 voice said “traffic, 12 o’clock, some altitude, one mile” :)

EGSU, United Kingdom

Perhaps something could be wired… Do check the installation was done correctly. Many avionics installs contain mistakes. For example, I am fairly sure that in my plane the “autopilot” announciation (disconnection of the autopilot) and the other stuff like “trim in motion” (elevator trim running for more than 9 seconds, IIRC) are available only to the two front seats, regardless of intercom settings. I thus suspect your installer wired it to the wrong intercom input.

However, since I got mine in Jan 2013, I find that Justine is much happier hearing the warnings. She always used to worry – same as most people do when they discover what uncontrolled airspace is – about who else could be out there about to hit us. Well, she does know about the problem with the d1cks who fly with their transponders turned off, but she still prefers to hear about the warnings from the rest. It also works the other way: if I climb to say 3000ft+ then the almost total lack of conflicting traffic is reassuring.

If I was with you and heard “traffic, 12 o’clock, same altitude, one mile” and you didn’t take rapid evasive action, I would be most concerned And if you take appropriate action, the passengers will definitely notice.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

If I was with you and heard “traffic, 12 o’clock, same altitude, one mile” and you didn’t take rapid evasive action, I would be most concerned And if you take appropriate action, the passengers will definitely notice.

You are right! I was convinced it was the announcement, but probably it was all about the realisation of how close the traffic was :)

I love the system. It made me realise how much traffic I was missing despite being on the look all the time. Not perfect, but so useful.

Over the years, I realised that the more information passengers are exposed to, the better. But then you get one of those passengers when a single beep will raise their blood pressure. That made me wonder about the configuration possibilities of the G1000. Will check the wiring during the next service. Thank you for the hint.

EGSU, United Kingdom

I know that these annunciations are supposed to go an intercom input which cannot be disabled. I have a feeling that the stuff fed to those particular inputs is fed only to the two front seats… Quite likely system dependent; I have a PM7000 box from 2001. @wigglyamp might know but I am not sure he is still posting.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’m still around!

Some Garmin audio panels have configuration options to allow alerts warnings to go only to crew (GMA35 for example). I’m not sure if this is possible with the GMA1347 in a G1000 installation, and in this case, system configuration is controlled by the TC/STC.

Last Edited by wigglyamp at 19 Feb 21:59
Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Fernando wrote:

But then you get one of those passengers when a single beep will raise their blood pressure.

It’s part of my pax briefing that they will hear alerts from time to time and that it is perfectly normal.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Yes. The worst is the disconnect alert on some autopilots. Totally freaks out passengers. I actually try to remember to warn them every time before I hit the button. On some autopilots, the pilot can mute that sound, which is an even better solution.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message