Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

French Riviera flight

Hi all,

I am planning to join Cirrus migration in May in LFMQ from Vienna. I plan to make a stop in Venice for fueling and may be overnight.
Any recos for the route from Venice to Le Castellet? Any specifics of France airspace there?

thank you in advance.
best regards
Töre

Austria

Assuming this is VFR, for the Italian bit, you should stay south of the class A TMA of Milano. More or less just south of Parma and then towards Genova. If you do that, altitude should be pretty much at your choice (clearances for class D CTR and CTAs are required, but usally given). Check Skydemon to get an idea.

If it’s just for fuel, I’d avise against Venice (I assume you mean Lido), as the Avgas is rather expenisive there. But if you want to do an overnight, that’s a different story.

For the French part and routes to fly, do check Skydemon, too. You essentially have the choice between seaside helicopter routes (very low down) and landside routes (which, due to terrain, are available at somewhat higher altitudes, but usually mean getting bounced around in turbulence quite a bit more.

Do check and understand French airspace. Start here: http://www.fliegen-in-frankreich.de/luftraumstruktur.html

As for all Cirrus fly-outs, I’ll personally give it a pass…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 02 Mar 15:13
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I suggest Portoroz or Mali Losinj for a fuel stop . Italy is quite expensive .
The seaside french route is really scenic if it doesn’t bother you to fly 500 ft above sea level.

Pegaso airstrip, Italy

There is also Padova for fuel stop.
Nothing special for France, you’ll be with Nice info after Albenga, transiting 500 to 1000ft around LFMN of you choose coast line or go through NIZ and you may be kept over 5000ft.
After that, there is R95 to avoid, remain over 6500ft until Marseille Info Region. R95 can also be granted without much problem, just ask them. Take care around LFMQ, you also have R64 military around Toulon, and you can’t get through this one, just fly around.
Nothing special about LFMQ which can be IFR too (only rnav), but in any case very turbulent in case of mistral.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 02 Mar 18:43
LFMD, France

Thank you so much guys. Its a vfr flight. Until Nice the plan looks clear.
I would prefer low seaside option. Sout of Nice looks very red in skydemon. Military areas etc. Do they create much issue to fly south there low?
After Cannes I would go nortwest landside for LFQM.

Thanks for green light boscomontico! 😊

Austria

You’ll have no problem from Nice to La Ciotat, which is the city on the sea side near LFMQ. Once abeam STP (or before if you can), just ask Nice Info for costal transit which is a VFR route (green Line on SD, ET ST PT then WT). At LA Ciotat (WT point), go direct to LFMQ et voilà !

Last Edited by greg_mp at 02 Mar 19:31
LFMD, France

The Restricted area around Nice is only temporary until the 4th March. Plan to Join the VFR low level route at EA and they’ll clear you though it.

LFMD - Cannes Mandelieu, EGLL - London Heathrow, France
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message