Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Frankfurt / Main river pics

This was a westbound crossing of the Frankfurt CTR, coming home from this little tour. As usual, I took the chance to take some photos. Disclaimer: the light was far from ideal (going westbound in the late afternoon) and the windows of the Morane are pretty crazed and scratched. So it did not turn out perfect. But I still hope you enjoy them. The nice thing is that every time I do this (normally not more than once a year), I see a couple more new skyscrapers, so the “skyline” is really evolving. Years ago, there were less than of a dozen of them…

Here we are, entering the Frankfurt CTR from the east, overhead Offenbach. The first one here is the ECB HQ building.

The Frankfurter Dom (Cathedral) and the “Old Town” just beyond that.

The southern side (Sachsenhausen), with the Henninger Turm.

On the northern side: the city, the banking district, the train station and the Europaviertel/Messeviertel.

On the south side again, this is Niederrad, the district where I live. You can see the former “Rennbahn”, which used to be a potential emergency landing spot. Now they have built the the new DFB (German football asscociation) headquarter on the southern part of it, and the rest will soon also be “developed” to some degree. The stadium of Eintracht Frankfurt can also be seen, as well as the most westerly part of Frankfurt airport.

As per my clearance, I proceeded further along the river Main, leaving the airport just to my left.

Runway 07L/25R is still out of use.

Flörsheim.

The river Main uniting with the river Rhein, just the other side of the city of Mainz.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

More airborne pics of Mainhattan…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 13 Apr 20:22

Can you get such a clearance nowadays?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Yes. Although has become a little tricky to do it right, with airspace structure, ATC constraints and minimum safe altitude considerations.

4 Posts
Sign in to add your message