Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Martin Pauly on LOP operations

A nice little introduction on lean-of-peak piston engine operations by fellow German aviator Martin Pauly.
Certainly only touches the surface of it, and most of us flying injected piston engines will probably know at least as much, but still, a very nicely produced video.

P.S. An SR22 is about 5 knots faster in the same conditions and at the same fuel flows.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Very helpful introduction for someone like me who has never operated a mixture lever in all of my flying. I still think that manual mixture control is an anachronism but then so is most stuff in GA…

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

In normal flying, however, the leaning process is dead easy and takes just seconds.

I reckon that is the main reason why there isn’t much call for FADEC solutions. Everybody blames it on “impossible certification” etc etc but in reality the market has no appetite for it, when you take off with all 3 forward and when levelling off in cruise you set 23" / 2300rpm / 12 USG/hr (or whatever) and leave it like that for the rest of the flight. FADEC would not give you more MPG (in cruise) than a correctly leaned engine, because there is no free lunch in physics.

There are bigger fish to fry in GA – like all the airport related issues which suck out utility value and make it the province of the really dedicated.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

There are bigger fish to fry in GA

IMHO the only substantial issue with manual leaning is leaning for takeoff at high altitude, say 8000 ft DA. You don’t take off with all three forward. Its a little tricky to get full throttle fuel flow & mixture right prior to takeoff with a large engine, small plane and CS prop, and there are consequences for getting it wrong.

Otherwise simple, maintainable and light in weight is good to people making aircraft buying decisions, a concept many European pilots seem to find hard to accept.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 23 Jan 23:47

Sure it’s a great video, but is nobody else shocked by how poor his lookout is?

(Yes, I’m kidding)
EGTF, LFTF

denopa wrote:

but is nobody else shocked by how poor his lookout is?

Not really since he is obviously IFR at 9000 ft, which means scanning the instruments rather than the airspace while relying on ATC.

Berlin, Germany

You better check that statement. He clearly is flying in VMC.

I think post #5 was a joke

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes.

Anyway, many of these “produced” inflight videos obviously concentrate on narrating and showing various bits of equipment. As long as these moments are only a fraction of the flying that one generally does, it is not a major risk.

boscomantico wrote:

He clearly is flying in VMC.

IFR in VMC, what`s wrong with that? Most the time we do fly IFR in VMC/on top.

Berlin, Germany
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message