Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Glass v. Conventional avionics - usability

Peter,

They are shipping the hardware but not the software.

EGKB Biggin Hill

I think Avidyne make good products but I don’t believe they have the resources for a certified avionics producer. Whether that is fair or not, I would not install a new Avidyne product right now.

Last Edited by JasonC at 29 Jan 19:18
EGTK Oxford

There is quite a stink brewing over on the PA46 owners forum regarding Pipers lack of support and price gouging for normal Garmin upgrades to the G1000 installed in the original Meridian.
It seems that Piper have to give approval/ be involved in the upgrade process. Some of the prices quoted for ADSB are eye watering, and many other software features have not been released in line with the current G1000 versions.

I think I would hate having the airframe manufacturer involved in my avionics to this extent, having to be reliant on their whim, pricing policy and timing.
My belief is that the longevity of GA aircraft has been extended by the ability to upgrade panels, paint, and engines way beyond the original manufactures existence or interference to a large extent.
E

eal
Lovin' it
VTCY VTCC VTBD

If there is no big airframe corrosion, and you can still get replacement airframe parts (the need for which is more or less inversely proportional to how well you grease stuff at the Annual ) then the plane can go on for ever.

The G1000 is a fine money collection machine. But glass avionics are also fine database subscription collection machines, for background map and terrain databases, etc That’s why I always ask whether something stops working if you stop the database updates. Jepp stuff usually stops after a couple of months.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Jepp stuff usually stops after a couple of months

Even their paper charts.

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

My Aspen has not had an update for a long time (years rather than months) because I don’t use it for navigation, and it just keeps working, with the old Jepp data.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Their paper charts display for ever

Jeppview (approach plates) stops after 2 months.

The Jepp ground databases don’t seem to run out.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Their paper charts display for ever

Yes of course but the information is dated, no longer relevant and possibly dangerous. I do not understand how many pilots throw thousands of €s at their flying yet begrudge up to date data. I realise I am probably the exception but all my devices are kept updated.

Last Edited by Peter_Mundy at 30 Jan 09:27
EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I pay for the same data three times, on JeppFD, GTN750 and GTN650.

As the NavData is literally switched off on the Aspen, it seems a bit wasteful to pay for the same data a fourth time.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Yes, but which data?

The devil is in the detail, as always.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message