Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

This is what happens when a light GA aircraft gets struck by lightning (SR22 F-GUHM)

Let’s keep this on topic please.

What is the date/time of this flight?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Aviathor wrote:

The only way to keep out is weather radar or maintain VMC.

Weather radar detects precipitation, not lightening…which usually occurs during the build up stage before any precipitation…Also a TS can pop up quite suddenly…and produce lightening within the 15min lag cycle of telemetered radar picture….airplanes get struck despite any technology….

Btw the subject should be "what happens when a composite aircraft is stuck by lightening "…,

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

AnthonyQ wrote:

Weather radar detects precipitation, not lightening…

AnthonyQ wrote:

and produce lightening within the 15min lag cycle of telemetered radar picture….

Hm? FIrst you argue that radar doesn’t detect lightning, then you say the 15min radar lag is too long for lightning?

Lightning web sites like blitzortung.org have much lower latency, typically a few seconds

LSZK, Switzerland

Romain 24-Jan-16 10:26 #13
It’s the 22 hangared at LFLS in aerial ?
Yep that’s the one. The aircraft is indeed equipped with a stormscope – apparently they flew in between 2 CB’s which is what set it all off.

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Peter 24-Jan-16 10:26 #14
Let’s keep this on topic please.
What is the date/time of this flight?

Sorry missed this – early December. To be very clear, i don’t know about the planning, I took the pictures yesterday but I got the account second hand, so did not talk to the owner and/or the pilot myself. What I was told (by my IR instructor who is a good friend of the pilot) is that the pilot did not want to go because of the weather, but got talked into it by another friend (who apparently was the one flying) and needed to be in Marseille.

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Ok…To keep it strictly on topic talk about the effects of lightning on light aircraft….the question of weather avoidance, pilot planning (and timing of the flight) etc. has been taken up in a new thread…

The pictures are of Cirrus with a composite wing…it seems to me that the damage is extensive….and expensive….presumably lightning is of far greater concern to aircraft with composite airframes…or not?

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

The amount of misinformation thrown about on this site is amassing and really needs to have a truth police monitoring it.

[confusing quoted text removed]

Last Edited by C210_Flyer at 24 Jan 14:41
KHTO, LHTL

C210_Flyer wrote:

The amount of misinformation thrown about on this site is amassing and really needs to have a truth police monitoring it.

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

so did not talk to the owner and/or the pilot myself.

Second-hand information – not to be taken ahem, first-hand …

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Peter wrote:

It does make one wonder about non-bonded planes getting IFR approval. The LAA proposal paper says

Peter, not much will happen to a Europa when encountering a lightning strike

This happened on a flight from Sweden to Finland to a finnish Europa friend.

EDLE

europaxs wrote:

This happened on a flight from Sweden to Finland to a finnish Europa friend.

In VMC on a VFR flight I presume ?

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN
Sign in to add your message