Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Insurance companies, premiums, exclusions, etc

It’s actually a very UK thing, this reliance on brokers, not just for insurance but also for loans etc. Most of continental Europe is mainly direct business.

EGTF, LFTF

Timothy wrote:

#09We do have a loyalty to Traffords following their excellent handling of our claim.

It’s an interesting position to take given the loyalty they demonstrated to you.

I think I would have been so insulted I would have struggled to be civil.

On the other hand I wonder how they view ‘customers’ they can ask double the premium from and still retain?

In Germany nobody would use a broker to find insurance for his plane. I called my insurance got a quote and compared it with 2,3 others. Then I called my insurance again and got the same price as the cheapest competitor had offered.

What does “my insurance” mean in this context? Is that the insurance company which is also the risk-holder, or do they pass it on to an underwriter?

EGKB Biggin Hill

I talk to my insurance directly.

What does “my insurance” mean in this context? Is that the insurance company which is also the risk-holder, or do they pass it on to an underwriter?

EGKB Biggin Hill

„My insurance“ means my insurance company, yes.

In the UK aviation insurance market a lot of it is done by Lloyds underwriters and you can’t go to them directly. You have to use a broker.

Other countries differ. However this is not relevant to the UK since at the piston level most insurers don’t do international business. During a recent visit to EDNY I asked some “central European” insurers exhibiting there for quotes and they were very keen to quote, but none of them did in the end, saying they do only Germany, or whatever. The salesmen present didn’t know this…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

My Cirrus is G-reg, but was no problem with a German insurance, but maybe because I live here. I have no idea.

Alexis wrote:

„My insurance“ means my insurance company, yes.

I would be very surprised if you actually spoke to the company that was underwriting the risk. Maybe.

EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message