Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Creating a VFR trip kit

What ought to be included in a VFR trip kit and how/where does one get it?

-) PLOG: everybody and their dog have an Excel sheet, plus there are plenty of tools on the www

-) meteo: the GRAMET from the autorouter works nice, even if it was meant for IFR planning only

-) aerodrome info is more difficult to collect, especially for the smaller fields. But sooner or later the info can be found; calling up the field at the last resort.

Is there more info to collect? I am not talking of W&B, checklists, licenses because these are under the chapters of “aircraft documentation” or “pilot requirements”

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Any reason to exclude NOTAMS from the list? An often forgotten item.

In terms of WX, I always try to gather as much information as possible (or sensible) for any flight. For local flights, that will usually be a glance at the low level SWC, GAFOR chart, METAR, TAF, radar. For proper trips, it will be any source I can find (and interpret). This varies by country, obviously.

Last Edited by Patrick at 21 Sep 09:44
Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Guilty as accused Patrick, NOTAMs are essential.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

For VFR you definitely want both airport and enroute (“narrow route briefing”) notams because in general nobody is going to be looking after you enroute, as they do in Eurocontrol IFR.

In some radar environments ATC will stop you busting some TRA but there is always contrary evidence. I busted a French nuclear power station one while on a radar service with an individual squawk, and they said nothing, but immediately afterwards asked for the pilot’s name. 5 months later the DGAC went after me… I narrowly got away with it but probably only because my next landing was back home in the UK. So one cannot rely on ATC.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

1. Open Skydemon/PocketFMS (or equivalent app of your choice)
2. Plan route on screen
3. Download WX, plates and Notams
4. Print any you need for backup
5 Go flying

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Spot on Neil

UK, United Kingdom

My thoughts as well

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message