Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ferry tank discussion (merged)

Getting an EASA ferry(tank) license is not that easy anymore.

Last Edited by AeroPlus at 21 Sep 10:12
EDLE, Netherlands

Getting an EASA ferry(tank) license is not that easy anymore.

What is the process for getting it?

actually we do need to get this approved in the UK, but the approvals process is broadly sensible and mostly efficient.

To what extent does the LAA monitor mods, especially subtle ones like a ferry tank attachment point which can be pretty well hidden from view?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

To what extent does the LAA monitor mods, especially subtle ones like a ferry tank attachment point which can be pretty well hidden from view?

During build, an inspector checks everything over vs the plans – with the explicit requirement that they look inside every single void before it’s closed up. Not worth the hassle is probably a good summary…

EGEO

OK; I meant fitting it afterwards. Loads of certified planes are flying with such an attachment. In most cases it is from a once approved ferry tank installation. In others it was done off the books. It’s a very useful mod.

Administrator

I see. Not sure tbh. I’m starting the mod process to have it fitted during initial build – it shouldn’t be too big a deal.

EGEO

Any updates on EASA Turtle Pac approvals? I would like a 100 gallon tank for a future RTW venture.

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

I can’t speak for EASA, but I do now that the present advisory material in the FAA and Transport Canada world for ferry tank approval does not include Turtle Pac tanks, simply because they are not hard. There’s no reason for it, other than the standards have never been updated to consider the possibility. I have supported the installation of numerous Turtle Pac tanks in ferry arrangements, with were flight permit approved on Canadian aircraft. The Transport Canada inspectors were happy to ferry permit approve them, with my technical evaluation and recommendation.

I think they are an excellent product, and absolutely suitable for a ferry purpose. I do not think of them as a “permanent” type installation, and they state that they are not intended or the long term storage of fuel.

Be aware that there are some rather specific fuel line connection rules which must be followed for safety. Not all aircraft types are equally accepting of this type of installation.

I have two 80 liter Turtle Pacs which were only filled four times for a ferry, and not used since.

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

Pilot_DAR wrote:

Be aware that there are some rather specific fuel line connection rules which must be followed for safety. Not all aircraft types are equally accepting of this type of installation.

Are you aware of any issues with an A36 Bonanza?

Pilot_DAR wrote:

I have two 80 liter Turtle Pacs which were only filled four times for a ferry, and not used since.

I’ll take them if I can get them installed!

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

I also have a 600 litre TurtlePac which I no longer want or need. It is on loan to someone in Poland at the moment, but it will come free in the Spring.

If anyone wants it, let me know between now and then, because it might be easier to ship from Poland than from the UK.

EGKB Biggin Hill

This thread on long range is also interesting.

One interesting Q is the process for a legal installation of a permanent connection to the fuel system. It’s pretty obvious that many (most?) ferry tank installations leave the fitting in place afterwards, if possible. Why remove it?

Administrator
Sign in to add your message