Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Kids on board

We did it! Took the little boy (now 5 months) up for an hour and a half in the 172.

He had a little cry on the ground and just after take off, probably feeling a bit hot as we had to wait for traffic for a bit. After passing through 3000" he fell asleep and slept through the afternoon thermals and the landing.

Used the (rear-facing) baby capsule secured with the lap-belt in the back seat, the (Australian standard) top-tether over the top of the back seat onto a floor anchor point. With mom’s seat all the way back she could easily tend to him from the front seat.
Used his festival going ear muffs protect his ears http://earmuffsforkids.com/

No worries as they say here, can’t wait for the big trip over Christmas

Well done

ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg

My feelings about it are mixed. On the one hand, it only sounds logical that a child used to flying from day one will always be at ease in the plane and in the skies. OTOH I have been keeping my grandsons away from the plane until they are 6 or 7 – big enough to have SOME control of there p-requirements and also their ears will be less delicate, as a musician I care for that. My main reason, though, has been that it is nice to have them live up to the experience. They now live with “if you are really a BIG boy, granddad will take you up for a tour flying, just you and me, in our very own aeroplane” – that does make their eyes glow, I can tell you. If they only take it for normal, where is the thrill?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

My father (PPL) first took me for a flight at six weeks old, so I have grown up flying. Apparently when I was very young, I used to fall asleep but when I was older, as well as looking out of the window, I liked to listen and try to make some sense of what was being said on the RT.

Now, decades later, I don’t appear to have a hearing problem (and as a child we didn’t even have headsets – as the aircraft used to have a handheld mic) – well, so far anyway…

I can honestly say that I never took flying for granted and would accompany my Dad whenever I got the opportunity, despite the fact that it usually meant helping to clean the aircraft afterwards. Even now, with my very own PPL, I still consider it such a privilege to go flying – I love it just as much as I did as a kid (hence my moniker)!

UK, United Kingdom

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

[…] where is the thrill?

In our case we don’t want any thrill :-)

The airplane is simply a means of transportation to get from A to B. Instead of queuing up at the baggage counter, at security and later wait for the bags to arrive we just get on board and be on our way.

In the end our 7 years old daughter believes that it is normal. Which is a good thing. She’s been flying CAT from very early on and now for 2 years with small planes with daddy being the pilot. With the family I stay at or below FL120 so they don’t need O2 and I keep the legs short enough but we have done 4 hours in one go. Descents are 1000ft/m and we have flown through IMC for hours. Nobody complained. We even had a little “situation” and everybody kept their cool.

I should add that we rarely talk about “to go flying”. We talk about going to destination X instead.

Last Edited by Stephan_Schwab at 27 Oct 16:14
Frequent travels around Europe

My kids flew as babies already, my son when he was about 4 months old … see photo. THat was when my wife still flew :-)

I like that photo. It’s a really good example of the utility value of a GA plane. Like the family station wagon :-)

Oh… Frequently when people learn that I fly myself to places I get asked “Is that allowed? You can just fly?”. I would love to show them pictures like that one.

Last Edited by Stephan_Schwab at 27 Oct 17:14
Frequent travels around Europe

And you know, our son (and later our daughter) had absolutely no problem with it. We covered his ears (under the hat) and he used to sleep all the time. Especially above 5000 feet he’d sleep fine ;-))

Some really great stories above

I went up, age about 7, in a Morava 200 (?) twin, out of Pribram LKPM

It “belonged” to the head of the Czech uranium mining industry, Karel Bocek. He was apparently keen to “make progress with” my mum, but my dad wasn’t happy about it and anyway she didn’t go along with it. Damn… we would have got that B&W TV a year earlier had she done that! Bocek, perhaps the most trusted of all the trusted communists, escaped to the West in the 1970s, in a truck.

But I didn’t think much of flying till many years later…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

(The Morava 200 is a beautiful airplane)

Sign in to add your message