Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Autorouter updates (merged)

maybe there is a problem with yahoo.com email addresses??

Obviously that was the reason. Now my account has been manually activated – looks impressive after a first glance, kudos to the developers!

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

because in practice, I’ll fly a direct route anyway on ATC instruction. All the latter does is cause me a lot of typing and complexity.

From my beta testing of the router, this raises a somewhat philosophical point:

Let’s say you have two routes generated.

Route 1 uses no DCTs and is 700nm.

Route 2 used some DCTs and is 650nm.

A pilot flying Route 1, and hassling ATC all the way for shortcuts, flies the route in 640nm.

A pilot flying Route 2, and hassling ATC all the way for shortcuts, flies the route in 640nm.

Which would you prefer?

I would prefer Route 2, because ATC don’t always give you shortcuts. Much depends on

• which side of the bed the ATCO fell out that morning
  • whether the ATCO can speak English (no shortcuts if he/she can’t)
  • variable unit policies
  • variable airspace policies

etc. Sometimes the only way to get a shortcut is to request a 30 degrees left “to avoid” and make sure the bad wx extends for say 30nm, but of course nobody is going to be doing that

There is a real issue with complex routes: loading them into a 1990s GPS like the KLN94. But the majority of routes over say 500nm don’t fit anyway, IME.

Last Edited by Peter at 27 Mar 09:36
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Autorouter is very, very nice. Nice work!

OzRunways.Com - iPad EFB for the World
EHHV

Hats off, guys ! Very nice work.

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria

This is a great idea, but I’m having some problems:-

If I create a route from Annecy (LFLP) to Top Farm UK (ZZZZ) then a reasonable initial route gets created but when I press continue the message “Error: unknown identifier ZZZZ” is shown and I can’t get any further. If I create the route and force a VFR arrival it works but the created route gets the destination Top Farm set somewhere in Ghana and a several thousand mile leg has been appended to the route!

I have been playing around a bit and need a facility to delete routes – how do I do it?

Thanks,
Simon

I tried a route from San Sebastian to Murcia with VFR arrival and departure and a reasonable route was created:

-(FPL-GXXXX-ZG -1P28R/L -SLODF/SC -LESO1127 -N0126VFR TURPU/N0126F110 IFR G23 GRAUS A34 SEROX A34 MLA/N0126F100 A34 CRETA A34 PLANA/N0125F080 A34 VLC A34 ALT VFR DCT ALT2F -LELC0316 LEAL -DOF/140327 EET/TURPU0025 RMK/CREW CONTACT +447801XXXXXX -E/0500 R/E J/L A/WHITE AND MAROON C/XXXXX)

However the route summary page shows:

Route:
LESO TURPU/N0098F110 IFR G23 RONKO/N0126F110 GRAUS A34 CRETA/N0125F100 VLC/N0124F080 ALT VFR DCT ALT2F DCT LELC
Validation: NO ERRORS
Direct distance (GCD): 338.4 NM
Route distance: 17433.0 NM (Overhead: 5051%)

Thanks,
Simon

Edited to correct typos, edited again as I realise direct distance is correct – my misunderstanding!

Last Edited by shimmy at 27 Mar 11:44

I feel router.euroga.org is going to be my most frequently visited web site. Great job, guys, hope to see you at LDLO.

Current route:
LDZA KOTOR2S KOTOR/N0132F130 M986 KULEN/N0131F120 DCT LDLO

Validation:
NO ERRORS

Direct distance (GCD): 100.3 NM Time direct: 0:46:39 Fuel required: 11.0gal / 41.7l
Route distance: 100.4 NM (Overhead: 0%) Time route: 0:47:03

Last Edited by Emir at 27 Mar 10:46
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Regarding the mail not arriving. This might be the problem:

The mailserver announces itself as www.autorouter.eu, which is 188.226.147.128
A reverse DNS lookup on 188.226.147.128 returns autorouter.eu, which is different from www.autorouter.eu

You might try to set the PTR record for 188.226.147.128 to www.autorouter.eu
Yahoo is very picky on this.

Last Edited by lenthamen at 27 Mar 10:47

Well done to all those involved. It’s seems to be a great tool.

I have no clue to the amount of work required, but would it be possible to change from Google Maps standard view to something like http://skyvector.com and their “World LO” view?

+1 for skyvector maps instead of google maps.

Sign in to add your message