Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Thuraya & XT Hotspot - Inflight?

You cannot use the bluetooth on e.g. your Bose A20 to make phone calls over the Thuraya network. The Bose A20 connects via bluetooth to the iPhone ok and then you can make calls using the normal SIM card in your iPhone while on the ground or near the ground, but the bluetooth connection is not forwarded and made available to the Thuraya app on the iPhone. You simply cannot make the call over Thuraya that way. Tried that and was disappointed.

There is a special 3,5 mm plug at the bottom of the Satsleeve that links to the headset. If you don’t want to invest in the other box, you can use a simple Apple earplug set that comes with the iPhone and use that to call. Put the plugs underneath your normal headset. I know of one pilot that used it that way. The microphone on the Apple EarPods is not as clear of noise, but I could understand him and the EarPods were underneath his Bose headset and he could also hear me. Apple EarPods go for 29 euro, so that is the cheap solution.

EDLE, Netherlands

Okay .. Catch your drift.. However . I have panel powered lemo..

How about the 4s satsleeve withe data?

The 4s Satsleeve model does not have data.

EDLE, Netherlands

it looks like there are two satsleeves available:
- the old one, Iphone 4 only and only voice and SMS
- the new one , includes data, available for iphone 5 but it seems you can use it with iphone 4/4s with a small adapter

I have an Iphone 4s and it would be an excuse to upgrade to the 5 if I can’t use the data satsleeve but it seems I can have an adapter. Am I right?

ORTAC

I know the Iphone 4 (bought one for Justine for her birthday 3 years ago ) … is the 5 any better, in this context? The 5 still sells for over £400 on Ebay.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

think 3 to 4 was a bigger jump in than 4 to 5… very happy with 4 and although 5 is a bit slimmer , faster, etc I’d rather spend the £500 on the satsleeve itself, especially as I already have an Ipad Mini and tend to use that more than the phone

Looks like the ‘new’ satsleeve with data comes with an Iphone 5 dock (the thinner smaller lightspeed one), so you can use it with an iphone 4 with an adapter, whereas the first generation sat sleeve had a iphone 4 dock so you need an adapter to convert from 4 to 5.
I guess I can always give it a try and upgrade to the 5 if it doesnt work!
http://www.thuraya.com/SatSleeve

I still think nonetheless Sebastian’s ADL solution is the most accomplished solution out there. I have yet to find a radar app that would be convenient for inflight use and crucially has georeferencing. Also the way the ADL seems to manage data usage is smart. Now… if Sebastian’s app would work with the Thuraya sleeve, that would be pretty cool!

Last Edited by podair at 07 Jan 11:51
ORTAC

It should be easy for Sebastian to make his app work with Thuraya. Alternatively we will be launching our upgraded AeroPlus Aviation Weather app with georeferenced weather overlays as well. On top of that all the weather charts, GFS model based Skew-T diagrams and enroute weather (like Ogimet) etc. Good to have some choices.

I would not bet too much on the Iridium data as it is very slow and just limits you in what you can do. It is very, very slow compared to the Thuraya data speed.

I am not sure if the new Satsleeve works with the iPhone 4s. I could very well be (no guarantees) as you don’t need to connect your iPhone to the Satsleeve. I am not using the iPhone 5 holder at all and leave it at home. All you need to do is connect your iPhone by bluetooth to the Satsleeve and the same iPhone OR another device by WIFI to get data. Then on the iPhone download the Thuraya app. If it installs on your iPhone 4, you should be ready to go. But then again, I have not tried that out.

I had the iPhone 4s and now some time the iPhone 5s. It is so great to unlock it with the fingerprint and the quality of the camera with its new light sensitive lens is great. I don’t regret having migrated to the 5s.

EDLE, Netherlands

A silly Q: does the Satsleeve work without any Iphone? For example could I use it as a wifi access point for my Lenovo Tablet?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hi Peter

i think the iPhone 5 is much better than the 4/4S. I have had them all and I use them extensively and the difference is really worth buying the 5. Especially the speed of the processor and the internet connection is much better, but I especially LOVE the iPhone 5s camera which is really a technology masterpiece. I am using digital cameras professionally (I have about te of them from small compact to Nikon D300 and D2X) but many times the iPhone pictures are good enough. Also the 1080p HD videos are great.

I think I’ll have to try that satsleeve … sounds really promising.

What is the best place to BUY that Satsleeve? Anybody know?

Sign in to add your message