Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The impossible turn

I think we would have still got on airfield property had it just quit cold and not surged. The reason we made another turn to 36L rather than landing on 09 was we seemed pretty high so the longer runway was just better (and iirc the wind for 36L was nearly all crosswind, and a tailwind for 09).

Andreas IOM

Well I just looked at historic METARS giving 14010KT-ish – that would be a headwind on 09, but apparently the altitude for the turn to the 36 was there and judging from the home desk is far from accurate. I just wanted to state different options in this case, not judging you desicions (other than it was obiously one of the right options to chose).

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Congratulations. Very good work. Your trajectory from 400’ looks about right for a Tiger – I use 300’ in my personal procedures as the minimum altitude to consider an “impossible turn”.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Watched once this video of the impossible turn and tried it out (at night) at Rotterdam Airport with a Cirrus and instructor next to me. Then, decided it would be better next time to try it out in a full motion sim, which we did in Poznan, Poland. It is quite possible to turn around and indeed, there are situations where a landing straight ahead (or in the Cirrus using the chute pull) is not the best options.

See:

EDLE, Netherlands

Yes, 1000 ft will work for the Cirrus… i tried that. Below 1000 and over 500 ft i’d use CAPS … Below 500 the Cirrus will not make it back (9.6:1)… and mine has not even that with the 4-blade prop

Nice job. If you configure nothing else, the electric fuel pump is always worth turning on but easy to say these things on the ground.

It isn’t impossible, it is just easy under pressure to stall the plane. Maintain a high enough airspeed and use a 45 degree bank and it works above a certain altitude for each type. That said, 400ft wouldn’t work in a PA46, it is more like 800.

Last Edited by JasonC at 11 May 07:31
EGTK Oxford

In a Cirrus, Malibu, TTx and similar with high loading you’d have to be extra careful not to stall it low to the ground… therefore the first reflex before you start the turn has to be to lower the nose and unload the wing.

1000 for the Bonanza, and even then……..lot of fatalities over the years for those who tried it. My first option would be to always land ahead, agreed may not be possible, but preferable. I display a De Havilland Chipmunk, amongst other things, and one part of the routine is to run along the centre line, full chat, 50’, S turning, and then pull up to 400’, wing over, and come back down the centre line. I use the energy built up in the roll down the line. However, 400’ is not that high, and as I come over, the energy lost, is quite substantial. In some of the types mentioned above, climbing, in an already marginally powered aeroplane, is not for me thanks.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Congrats, you guys did a great job!

I was wondering whether this accident has been reported?

I had an engine failure during takeoff with a DA40 a couple of years ago, and was lucky enough to be able to land on the remaining runway.
It was caused by a problem with the turbocharger hose. The maintenance company reported it to Diamond and they issued an Airworthiness Directive.
The accident has never been reported to authorities so it will not show up in the statistics…

The accident has never been reported to authorities so it will not show up in the statistics…

That’s because you were lucky enough not to have an accident. I had three engine failures in twins (one of them also because the turbocharger came off the exhaust), all of them without further damage to aircraft and occupants, all of them investigated by the local aviation authority and reported to our national authority. But none of them were published anywhere. Two weeks ago I had to land with no green nosewheel light showing. After a low approach and some circling to perform the checklist items we landed with the fire trucks disposed along the runway. Luckily it was only the microswitch inside the gear strut – so just a report to the authorities and no mention of it ever again…

And to the original poster: Vell done. This is where flying experience and currency on type really show. Still we will continue to teach the students not to try this manoever during their first XXX flying hours.

Last Edited by what_next at 11 May 11:25
EDDS - Stuttgart
Sign in to add your message