Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Tablet software reviews

SkyDemon say they get a lot of requests for trial licences and they are limited as to how many they can give out. Also they said they’re happy with their existing exposure to the European market. It’s true we could download a free trial, but there are several features that aren’t included in the trial and it wouldn’t make for a realistic comparison, not to mention the timed restriction being a pain. I could borrow it from someone else, but the logistics are tricky enough trying to review so many pieces of software and having to coordinate borrowing a device from someone else is a pain, plus I want enough time to familiarise myself with the software in advance. Finally I am not altogether convinced I want to go to the substantial effort required to review and publicise (presumably positively, if it’s as good as some say) a piece of software, for free and with no commercial imperative on my side, if the makers of it have decided that it isn’t worth granting a 2 week trial licence, which presumably they could do very easily.

Some of the other software vendors, big and small, have been very welcoming/helpful and I think a vendor’s attitude to this process is at least somewhat revealing to their view on certain aspects of their business.

I’ve written to Airbox about their iPad product but haven’t heard back yet.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

A software review without the most important product – really makes very little sense. I would not hesitate s. b. else’s licence for a test.

A software review without the most important product – really makes very little sense. I would not hesitate s. b. else’s licence for a test.

I think this is all wrong. Who cares which one is “best” or “important” (in the UK)? What does “best” mean anyway. At best we will either get a biased personal opinion from someone who has “grown up” with a certain product and set in his habits, or we will get a focus on things that does not matter, things that are matters of taste. What’s best of a C-172 and a Cherokee? a Lamborghini or a Ferrari ? a Leaf or an e-up ?

What’s interesting is a review of each product, their capabilities, their functions, and the usefulness of those functions.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Then let me replace “most important” with Market Leader, which SD certainly is. I did not say it’s the “best” product (although I do think it is :-))

although I do think it is

Exactly what I meant

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I am generally a bit surprised with an attitude that the SkyDemon people have. They have a very good product and generally provide good support and listen well to their customers, but they seem to have a hangup over some things.

E.g. lots of people have complained about their map quality and in particular the accuracy of the maps. Their reply is always that the accuracy is better than the official (e.g. ICAO 1:500000) charts. It turns out that they refer to the accuracy of the aeronautical information (which they provide) and basically don’t care about the poor quality of the base maps. (Recently there are some signs that they are changing their minds about this — let’s hope.)

Another time when someone asked them to consider including an arguably useful feature which some competitor software had, they replied that they don’t care what their competitors do.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

QuoteAnother time when someone asked them to consider including an arguably useful feature which some competitor software had, they replied that they don’t care what their competitors do.

There is an inherent problem with this. It can become a wish list for consumers, and add ons can then degenerate the original product, and its key purchase points become weakened. I would argue that SD is one of the best around, and that its customers, benefit from a ‘this is what we do and offer’,policy, rather than running around trying to please everyone, which almost always ends in disaster for the company.

Last Edited by BeechBaby at 29 Apr 10:21
Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

This forum is an example of that – there are loads of features I’ve steadfastly decided not to add for similar reasons. That being said, I’d not turn around to a paying customer and say “I don’t care what competitors do”, nor would I be shy about high quality free publicity. But hey ho.

Administrator

Quote“I don’t care what competitors do”, nor would I be shy about high quality free publicity. But hey ho.

Well I am hoping it was put in rather more tactful terms than that, but you just never know. I had a good one recently. Local art shop, my son, 14, is a really good photographer and editor, and we asked the process of showing some of his work. Dour faced female owner – this is place for professional artists only. Guess what my reaction was/is – everywhere I go………….

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

For the record, in my conversations with SkyDemon they have been polite and considered.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message