Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Low flying permit

I was flying 10ft MSL over the Pacific in California with a C172 when the engine started stuttering. Never dared going low again…

ATO aircraft have special low flying permissions for PFLs even though German law has 500ft as the absolute minimum. Rescue helicopters have similar permissions, I assume the same will be possible in the UK after SERA.

ATO aircraft have special low flying permissions for PFLs even though German law has 500ft as the absolute minimum.

Yes, but this permission is really only valid for “training required to gain a license”. The only license that requires PFLs is the PPL (maybe TMG also, but I don’t instruct that) and after the student gains his PPL I can’t do real-life PFLs with him any more, not even during the mandatory training flights evey two years.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Yes, but I do them nonetheless on those training flights when I am acting as FI. Never had a problem.

Stupid rules don’t stop me from doing the right things. A PFL to 500 feet is pointless.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 07 Oct 18:34
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I wouldn’t do that. If somebody reports you to the police, you will be convicted, the state’s attorney has no choice and neither has the judge. The law is crystal clear. At least don’t talk about it so you can claim in court there was carburetor icing

Stupid rules don’t stop me from doing the right things.

You are right, but I have too much to lose. I still need my license because I live from flying and haven’t put aside enough to retire early…

A PFL to 500 feet is pointless.

Yes. But there is a solution around that: Do it to some gliding airfield or an airfield with a grass runway during weekdays (when there is no traffic), ideally after having advised them by phone beforehand. That’s perfectly legal and serves the same purpose.

EDDS - Stuttgart

You are right, but I have too much to lose.

I understand that, but do you really think that the one time someone reports you, you wouldn’t be able to turn it down quite easily?

ideally after having advised them by phone beforehand. That’s perfectly legal and serves the same purpose.

Advised is one thing. Open is another…
And as you know, a closed airfield is like a non-existant airfield in Germany…
But I get your drift…
Doing it above an airfield is also a different exercise, really. It’s a good idea to do it occasionally. Pull the throttle when overhead the strip and see if the pilot is aware of his position and makes the right decisions. But doing it out of reach of any airfield is also important to see if he can chose the right field…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 07 Oct 19:04

but do you really think that the one time someone reports you, you wouldn’t be able to turn it down quite easily?

Probably yes, a well know aviation lawyer around here did part of his IFR training with me, so at least I have a number to call On the other hand, I also instruct multi engine … and wouldn’t a bad PFL be a good reason to go for a multi engine rating?

EDDS - Stuttgart

A PFL to 500 feet is pointless.

I disagree… At 500 feet you should be able to tell whether or not you’ll make your intended landing spot and that’s the important thing.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Lets agree to disagree

ATO aircraft have special low flying permissions for PFLs even though German law has 500ft as the absolute minimum. Rescue helicopters have similar permissions, I assume the same will be possible in the UK after SERA.

Maybe, but it’s not the case in Ireland. We’ve had that absolute minimum for many years (longer than I’ve been flying anyway) and schools don’t have any exemptions. Doesn’t stop them doing it anyway. If you’re careful not to annoy anyone here, no one is likely to report you. Getting too close to property or livestock would be different.

EIWT Weston, Ireland
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message