Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

N-reg aircraft and European / EASA licenses / licences (merged)

Interesting! Thanks for finding that, bookworm.

That squarely states that the UK IMC Rating is valid on an N-reg, in UK airspace. I got that opinion here from the FAA but still some absolutely disagree with that.

[ local copy put here ]

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Fortunately, this confirms the common sense interpretation compatible with the presumed intent – basically that in the licence issue state, you can do as the locals do since the FAA doesn’t care.

It is a bit more tricky if it comes to a 61.75 based-on licence.

Biggin Hill

Has anyone heard of anyone having problems at a ramp check if they show up in an N-reg and an EASA-license issued in another state?

I am well aware of what the FAR says but would be interesting to know still…

ESSZ, Sweden

Never heard of such a thing.

The most “aggressive” rumours I have heard were of an inspection in France, where N-regs got hit, G-regs and F-regs etc were left alone, and the inspector had a good briefing pack with a sheet with a picture of an FAA plastic card license with various things like “INSTRUMENT PILOT” highlighted.

That was several years ago. I have never seen anything myself, and never got inspected. Well, my license got looked at many times, especially in France, but never by anybody who could tell an FAA license from a Tesco loyalty card.

Administrator

I was asked to show my FAA license this last spring in Perpignan. We were ramp-checked before departure with our N-reg plane and I initially only showed my EASA license. The gendarmes were friendly and only interested in crew and aircraft documents, not in any flight planning paper work. They appeared to know what they were doing.

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

Just for the record: There is no mandatory flightplanning paperwork to be carried on board.

Since Part-NCO, the only thing required is “details of the filed ATS flightplan”. Nothing more.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

So just the autorouter briefing pack?

The only paperwork I eventually take these days are IAPs, and leave them in a folder in the backseat. Still a bit redudant since I take 2 iPads (one generally lagging by one iOS version), with Garmin Pilot (with plates subscription), Skydemon (with downloaded AIP), and the plane has the approaches coded in the G1000. They both have telegram with the plan downloaded (this part also the iPhone).

I only have a printer at the office so tend not to print anything planned a bit on the fly.

You could get a view from achimha (who with tomjnx developed the Autorouter) on the briefing pack. Achim seems to have left EuroGA (again!) but I believe the briefing pack was designed to meet the documentation requirements of German (?) ramp checks.

Administrator

Hi all,

I’m looking for an outside-the-box solution! :)

I have just bought an N reg Cirrus, and would like to fly it from UK through France and into Spain in a week’s time. I have CAA issued EASA PPL, and don’t have an FAA license.

I understand that this limits me to flying it within the UK, and not into France and Spain.

Assuming nobody has a good reason to believe that’s wrong, can anyone come up with a clever alternative solution?

I’ve looked into extremes such as getting it onto the G or other European reg temporarily, and even considered whether I could get a French license and a Spanish license in time, but have assumed this would be impossible.

Any suggestions would be extremely gratefully received!

There is actually no solution for this that i see … and putting it on G-reg cannot be done in a week. If it is about ferrying the airplane to Spain I can give youthe eMail of one of the most experienced Cirrus pilots on the planet, + 10.000 hours. He could fly it to Spain with you. In the USA he could put you in the left seat too … but I do not know whether that is legal in Europe (he is a CFI).

Sign in to add your message