Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CAP 10C .....sans prop...forced landing

Google translate of the bulletin update from the AIBN

Description
During training acrobatics flight with LN-KAP in the training area “airworks Alfa” northeast of Bjørkelangen arose a noise in the plane followed by gentle shaking. The plane was when the woodland, ca. 4700 ft above ground level (AGL). On board the plane was the pilot / instructor and student. The pilot reduced the throttle and implemented horizontal flight. After 4-5 seconds sounded a loud bang, and propeller parts disappeared on each side in the horizontal plane. The commander gave impetus for best glide and heading towards the nearest land only area that was several suburbs north of Bjørkelangen. Mayday message was sent approximately 10 seconds after the propeller disappeared. Communication with air traffic control was maintained while they slid down the agricultural region. The emergency landing was successful, and no one was injured. Rollout of the field was completed approx. four minutes after the propeller disappeared. Beyond the lack of propeller were no other significant injuries.

Last updated: 20.05.2014

Location Northeast of Bjørkelangen
Event Date 05/18/2014
Aircraft Other light motorized aircraft
Operator Lower Raumarike Flyklubb
Reg notice LN-KAP
Flight conditions VMC
County Akershus
Type of Event Serious incident
Type of flight School
Category Aviation Lightweight, aircraft (<5 700kg)
Flykategori Land plane, single-engine
FIR / AOR ENOS (Oslo ATCC)

Hokksund/ENHS

If a prop goes on an SEP then I’d guess you will get a big increase in gliding range, although if it’s a CS prop the windscreen will probably be smothered in oil!

I would have thought that a prop issue is much more likely to be a blade coming out (or a blade tip coming off) than a whole prop coming off and flying off cleanly.

The prop is screwed on with a good number of massive bolts. It will take a lot to make it come off. The crankshaft flange would have to come off.

And if you lose a blade, the engine is fairly likely to get ripped right out of the aircraft, which will give you a really bad W&B issue I recall this happening to somebody with a TB10; fortunately it happened at the runway holding point. In a second or so, the engine was ripped right off its four mountings and ended up lying about 45 degrees off its normal axis. I saw some photos of it. With a bit of luck, if it happened in flight, the cowlings would have prevented the engine falling right off…..

Afterwards, IIRC, the pilot commented that maybe the 6 yearly UK prop overhaul requirement might be a good idea after all. But that does depend on how the plane had been looked after, whether it was hangared, etc. For example any grease leakage around the base of the blade(s) is definitely a very very bad sign.

The AAIB report is here.

Last Edited by Peter at 16 Jun 14:58
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Propeller bolts have been known to crack through and break. It happened to a friend of mine flying a Lycoming 360 powered amateur built. Four of the six bolts broke (in succession, I expect) until finally he noticed quite a vibration. He landed with the prop, but not by much. I opine that if you loose a metal prop off a type certified aircraft, you will have a C of G change so great that you may go out of limits, and have a challenging aircraft to fly at the corners of it’s operating range.

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

A Reims Aviation SA F182Q diesel conversion lost the prop back in 2007. No adverse handling after it´s departure.

Report in English: Link

If you loose a tip/bit of the prop, I can get interesting…… Quote from the crash of C-150 LN-LMP back in 2003 (Norwegian report only)

The instrument panel began to detach from the fasteners and I decided that a forced landing had to be carried soon as possible as I was concerned that other, more important parts of the machine should break.

Hokksund/ENHS
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message