Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA IR for Europe based pilots

It is totally politically impossible to have a European IR which is “based on” and not

• tested with an initial test, and
  • revalidated annually with a flight test

That’s why the often talked about BASA cannot possibly deliver anything of value, relative to stuff presently on the table.

I am told that some 20+ years ago you could turn up at Gatwick with an FAA CPL/IR and they would give you a UK CPL/IR (pre-JAR, but it would become a JAR one in 1999 anyway). But you still had to do the annual revalidation on the IR. In more recent years, for example Hungary would give you a Hungarian national (NON-JAR) CPL/IR but by that time EASA was on the case and such a national license was a dead end, unless you found some other way to convert it.

And (as I keep saying ) the new CB IR conversion route is going to be practically very similar to the existing 15hr ICAO IR to JAA/EASA IR conversion route – except for the written exams disappearing.

Anybody who is a “modern pilot” (who flies for real in the real world of IFR, GPS, autopilot, etc, rather than just working at an FTO and banging NDB holds all day down the road) who thinks they can just turn up for the initial IR test, and pass it, is kidding themselves.

Last Edited by Peter at 30 Mar 16:08
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Anybody who is a “modern pilot” (who flies for real in the real world of IFR, GPS, autopilot, etc, rather than just working at an FTO and banging NDB holds all day down the road) who thinks they can just turn up for the initial IR test, and pass it, is kidding themselves.

Your point of view. And maybe UK examiners are really that old-fashioned and bone-headed.

I however think that many examiners will be aware that they are flying with very experienced pilots who have been flying IFR safely for many years. And they will acknowldege that as soon as the tests is over, these pilots will forget about it the second after and get back to their normal flying routine right away. So I guess they will not overly focus on the outbound bearing on the ADF needle as that would be ridiculous. They will instead want to see good airmanship, good workflows, knowledge of the rules and procedures, and good radio-technique. I have already talked to a couple of examiners and that is basically what they said.

IMHO, the worst thing a candidate can do as a test preparation is go to an FTO for 5-10 hours and get himself stirred up and confused by some (previously unfamiliar) FTO style SOPs.

Rather: take the test and show the examiner your personal, “tried and tested” IFR workflow in a confident (but not overly so) manner. That is what I intend to do.

Any flight test I have ever done was a thoroughly pleasant experience.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 30 Mar 18:15
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I can assure you, bosco, this is a fact for the UK. I have been through the process myself. 100% hand flown procedures at airports. Autopilot and GPS may be used enroute. The nonprecision approach can be VOR or NDB (or GPS if you have a current database, etc) and you cannot tell in advance which you will be given so you must train for the NDB one.

If German examiners do the initial IRT using “modern methods” then that is brilliant, and most UK FAA IR holders will head over to Germany. You better warn your examiners

Or, more usefully, if you know of German FTOs (or examiners, if working freelance) who will do this, please post them. I would have passed my JAA IRT easily if I could have flown it like I normally fly. Instead, I spent about 25hrs at an FTO.

But the UK CAA will still have a veto on adding the German IRT to the pilot’s UK issued EASA PPL. I don’t know the latest on that.

Last Edited by Peter at 30 Mar 18:35
Administrator

I have a feeling that most european examiners will refuse to conduct IR tests (including the oral exam) completely in English.

But the UK CAA will still have a veto on adding the German IRT to the pilot’s UK issued EASA PPL.

If the IR is passed in accordance with Part FCL then the CAA will not veto it. They have already issued new EASA licences to applicants who have taken exams in one country, flying in another and tests in a third country. They have no right of Veto if the paperwork is in order.

FTOs ceased to exist in September 2012; they are now ATOs..

I’ve spoken to somebody in the system…

The fee for foreign Examiners has always been to conduct tests inside the UK and the previously mentioned proposal to charge a large UK CAA fee to brief a foreign examiner has been dropped. There has never actually been a fee for testing in another State; only a requirement to have been briefed.

Some States charge a fee to brief foreign examiners but the UK does not.

It’s interesting to note the rule regarding testing: the holders of a licence require the examiner to be notified to the issuing State however for an initial application where there is no
existing licence, there is no such requirement and the test could have been conducted in any State. There is no consistency in the briefings given by different States.

Last Edited by Peter at 31 Mar 07:40
Administrator

Passed my FAA Instrument Checkride yesterday at Le Touquet! A lot of hard work and running around to get there but I made it….also did the Private checkride so I have all standalone FAA certificates instead of the 61.75

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Congratulations!!

You’ll see that the learning has now just begun. But it’s great fun learning the fine points whilst touring Europe!

Congratulations Anthony!

EGTK Oxford

Well done Anthony!

The big plus is that you never have to do this again in your whole life, ever!

Administrator
Sign in to add your message