Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aerodynamics of GA Airplanes

Hi Malte,

you asked for it – here’s one of the picture I made with my Warrior in 1997. New ones of the Cirrus to follow once I made them

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 23 Jan 17:44

This one was close to the stall at around 45 KIAS with full flaps …. YOu see how the inner wing starts to stall while most of the ailerons stay effective

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 23 Jan 17:49

Thank you, Alexis, very nice for instructional use, if I may.

Are you planning wool threads again on the cirrus, or oil flow pictures? (http://www.standardcirrus.org/OilFlows.php) My bet is, that you will see the effects, vortices and stagnation points on the plain surface much better with oil flow images. Especially concerning cuffed LE vortices. (I would help to clean the plane afterwards, if EDML wasn’t so far :-) )

I should do some wool pictures with the Morane stalling:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kv9vuqz0dxovhmk/20130915_152150.jpg

kind regards,Malte

Last Edited by mh at 23 Jan 18:03
mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Oh, sure… i can give you all of the pictures I made back then if you give me an eMail address. I can create a dropbox file for you and put them in!

I have to ask my friend, what he thinks. We could do it with oil too, if it doesn’t damage the paint. But I like the wool too!

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 23 Jan 18:06

THis is at cruise speed:

Very nice. Notice the smaller end vortex with lower AOA.

Well, smaller vortex effects can be easier seen in oil, than wool. But it takes a bit to learn, how to interpret these images. For the duration of those tests, I don’t think the paint will suffer, but you may refer to someone who actually knows, what has been used on the Cirrus. I can only guess but haven’t seen any trouble on any glider, so far.

And these images can look really cool:

http://www.dropbox.com/s/d8q907s8pkog5r3/IMG_9330.jpg

[edited to make image appear – put the URL between exclamation marks as per Posting Tips]
Well, Peter, this doesn’t seem to work with dropbox images for some reason.

Last Edited by mh at 23 Jan 18:38
Last Edited by Peter at 23 Jan 18:38
mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

You are right – it doesn’t… I meant to edit my edit but for some reason it didn’t work, so you could use e.g. Imgur.com – example

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You can’t directly link to Dropbox files, they automatically turn off the link if they see access from a lot of different parties. They don’t want many parties to access a single file. You have to use imgur.com or something like it.

This wool thread test is cool and finally I realize that there is a 2nd advantage of low wing aircraft over high wing aircraft in addition to the easier check whether the fuel cap is on

Haha… that reminds me.
One day I was just refuelling the plane when the phone rang. … And somehow i didn’t really tighten the left fuel cap. While flying i realized a stream of gas running over the wing … landed and found the fuel cap on the runway … had lost about 10 liters of fuel.
Lesson learned, I hope …

9 Posts
Sign in to add your message