Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Follow me ....

YSCB

Another bird vs. aircraft observation: while cycling in the countryside, I saw a rook landing on a field. It flew a proper circuit – first a downwind leg in level flight, probably picking a convenient spot, then a turn to final and landing.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

While airborne I usually try to keep far away from other flying objects and creatures.
However, I do not mind sharing a thermal with a hawk. Not once I had a feeling that both of us were enjoying each other’s company….
Few summers ago we soared together from 4000 to over 10,000 feet, with neither of us flapping our wings

Last Edited by ANTEK at 19 Jan 04:05
YSCB

I can get our Ka-8 glider slow enough to be able to follow the seagulls. Occasionally they lead me to a thermal, but most often they do worried looks-behind to see what this huge bird is that’s following them!

Thermalling etiquette still applies. A friend of mine saw a flock of birds thermalling and joined the thermal. You’re supposed to follow the turn direction of gliders already in the thermal, there were no gliders, only birds a bit higher up. Well it turns out you’re supposed to treat birds the same way as gliders – they all began squawking when he started thermalling in the opposite direction to them!

Andreas IOM

they all began squawking when he started thermalling in the opposite direction to them!

7600 because he hadn’t communicated with them before joining, or7700?

[quote fixed]

Last Edited by Peter at 24 Jan 22:25
Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message