Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Survival Suits

Hi,

I want to collect some infos and experiences about survival suits. The best one I’ve seen so far seems to be the Swiftlik Uzipit suit. Cost is between $1600 and $2000.

Any experience with it? Alternatives (no Frankenstein please)?

Thanks,
Andreas

Last Edited by Muelli at 25 Nov 13:23
EDXQ

I bought a 411GT022 from Survival-One

This is an aviation immersion suit. It is made from Goretex Taslan which is waterproof and breathable. It comes with socks and neoprene gloves.
Cost was a bit more than 600GBP delivered.

Though not recommended I wear it with the zipper a bit down. That way it is not stressfull to sit in and I think I can zip it should anything happen.

Link

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

That certainly looks like an excellent suit, with many favourable characteristics. I like to have a pick up harness built into the suit body, so when yu are found, you can be hooked up for certain, perhaps unassisted. I also like to have a water activated light, which is a requirements in some cases for a legal life jacket.

I presently have a Mustang Ice Commander dry suit, which is bulky, but works well. I fly with the top half off, as the gloves are clumsy and built in, though they probably would work in the cockpit. There is also a removable glove version of the same suit, but I have just one of those, as I also use it for actual water rescue work too.

I also have both an older Mustang Ocean Class floating coverall, and the similar Helly Hanson product. They are not dry suits, but otherwise have most of the same characteristics – easier to fly in though!

Whatever you choose, it is wise to practice with it in the pool, to get used to what it’s like in the water. It is very likely that you might be doing more than just floating around waiting, so best to get the feel of it. In particular, practice floating in it in the vertical position, without your legs bobbing up behind you, and flopping your face into the water. If you have to help someone else in the water, you’re going to have to have mastered this skill.

If you’re going to need a suit, your passenger will need one too, and the practice wearing it.

When you buy the suit, don’t just leave it in the bag in the trunk of your car, or baggage compartment. It will not last as long if it is all rolled up, and stored in vast climactic variations. I leave mine on well padded hangers, indoors, and take them ready when I need to.

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

We bought Ursuits We used them on a couple of flights and are satisfied. They’re made of GoreTex and it doesn’t get moist in them. They have collar made of neoprene which isn’t the most pleasant thing you could imagine but we find it bearable even for a few hours. We took part in a sea survival course in Elsfleth, Germany. We were able to wear our own suits there and we found them to be completely tight.

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

By the way, does anyone know firsthand if there is really anything wrong about used (but tested) military survival suits available on eBay for less than £100?

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Tested by whom?

EGTK Oxford

Survival suits
We bought ours through a sea sailing supplies store. The suits come from the same factory as the one making sea survival equipment in Germany at competitive prices and custom size fitting.

EDLE, Netherlands
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message