Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Does FAA ATP include SEP privileges, and EASA SEP to FAA SEP

Gents,

1. Those of you who holding both EASA and FAA valid licenses, and are exercising IR/SEP privileges on your SEP N-reg airplanes (FAA license based on EASA part-FCL. PPL privileges only), based on your valid EASA IR/SEP, do you in fact have the IR and the SEP endorsed on your FAA license or only on your EASA part-FCL?

Last Edited by Yeager at 17 May 09:57
Socata Rallye MS.893E
Portugal

I have both. It is my understanding that you can only fly an N-reg on a foreign license in the country that the license was issued. The FAA doesn’t consider “EASA-land” to be a country. So if you have a French-issued EASA PPL/IR (as I do), you can fly your N-reg aircraft in France without a valid FAA license (e.g. no medical). But if you want to fly to another country, even in EASA-land (e.g. Spain, Italy, Germany) you need a valid FAA license that covers whatever kind of flight you want to make (e.g. an FAA IR if you file IFR).

And if you’re resident in Europe, you need a valid EASA license that covers whatever you are doing, regardless of where the aircraft is registered.

LFMD, France

johnh wrote:

johnh17-May-24 10:1902
I have both. It is my understanding that you can only fly an N-reg on a foreign license in the country that the license was issued. The FAA doesn’t consider “EASA-land” to be a country. So if you have a French-issued EASA PPL/IR (as I do), you can fly your N-reg aircraft in France without a valid FAA license (e.g. no medical). But if you want to fly to another country, even in EASA-land (e.g. Spain, Italy, Germany) you need a valid FAA license that covers whatever kind of flight you want to make (e.g. an FAA IR if you file IFR).

And if you’re resident in Europe, you need a valid EASA license that covers whatever you are doing, regardless of where the aircraft is registered.

Hi John,
I already have an FAA ATP, that does not have SEP, nor IR, endorsed on the the license. I also have a valid FAA medical. So my specific question was more like, are my valid EASA SEP and IR ratings (endorsed in EASA part-FCL) recognized by FAA to exercise the SEP and IR PPL privileges on N-reg aircraft (not limited to any specific EU country). I believe the answer is yes, but this is not clear to me, hence my clarifying question in here. Thank you.

Socata Rallye MS.893E
Portugal

The answer is NO. The key word is issued – see John’s post above.

See here

The US does not recognise the EASA mutual paper validation scheme.

However I struggle to work out this

PPL privileges only), based on your valid EASA IR/SEP

Do you mean

PPL privileges only), based on your valid EASA PPL/SEP

which is a 61.75 piggyback FAA PPL. I am not aware of any route to get an FAA PPL based on a foreign PPL/IR. Based on a foreign PPL, yes, and that is the 61.75.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Sorry Peter, NO to which part?. I think perhaps our post replies crossed over.

Socata Rallye MS.893E
Portugal

Peter wrote:

Peter17-May-24 10:2604

See here

The US does not recognise the EASA mutual paper validation scheme.

This is a very old Q&A doc, that seems to be referring to IMC ratings and not IR.

Let´s see what else comes up in here.

Socata Rallye MS.893E
Portugal

NO to the bold bit in

based on your valid EASA IR/SEP

It is old but the FAA doesn’t change stuff for decades, other than via Chief Counsel rulings, and there is plenty there on the word “issued”.

But yeah there may be a misunderstanding. How did you obtain the FAA IR? Did you do

• the Foreign Pilot Exam route
  • a standalone US IR (training and checkride)
  • some BASA conversion?
  • are you flying the N-reg on 61.3 privileges (which work for both a PPL and an IR but only in the country of issue).

Exercising 61.3 privileges is unknown to the FAA so nothing is endorsed anywhere. You just do it…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The FAA doesn’t consider “EASA-land” to be a country.

I would say nobody considers EASA-land to be a country.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I already have an FAA ATP, that does not have SEP, nor IR, endorsed on the the license

The question is, could you legally fly an SEP under IFR in the US with the license you have? If the answer is yes (I have no idea) then you’re all set. If not, then you’re no more legal in EASA-land than you would be in the US – EXCEPT in the specific case of within the country that issued your EASA PPL/IR SEP, which is covered in 61.something.

LFMD, France

johnh wrote:

you need a valid EASA license that covers whatever you are doing

So you can’t own and fly N-reg / FAA in EASA if you’re a resident ? Isn’t that against ICAO ?

France
47 Posts
Sign in to add your message