Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How does flying with IMCR / IR(R) *really* work?

You’re very welcome. Glad I could be of some use finally.

Lee
Barton EGCB, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The reason is that, on a VFR flight, if you find yourself in a bit of Class E you will have busted CAS and there will be an MOR and you will get busted by the CAA.

You mean IFR…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter, I just settled down with a nice cold beer to watch a bunch of your videos, but it turns out Vimeo is no longer supported by Amazon (FireStick) or Android TV.

How do you propose we watch them?

Are they only available to watch on a computer now?

Lee
Barton EGCB, United Kingdom

I’ve heard of a Firestick or Android TV but no idea what they are

Any device running a browser should do it. Then there is a Vimeo app for Android or IOS.

You mean IFR…

No; if you are VFR and you set 2000 you are telling ATC you are IFR but you need an ATC clearance for IFR in Class E, so you have busted CAS.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

you need an ATC clearance for IFR in Class E, so you have busted CAS.

This would be more than weird… Class E, whatever IFR, VFR, or else, sure stays Class E, which means, OCAS. Or is there, just to be again different and original, a UK exemption?
It would be the first time to me that the squawk used changes the class of the airspace around me…

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

This would be more than weird… Class E, whatever IFR, VFR, or else, sure stays Class E, which means, OCAS. Or is there, just to be again different and original, a UK exemption?
It would be the first time to me that the squawk used changes the class of the airspace around me…

@Dan, no, not correct – OCAS means Class G only, Class E entry is permitted without ATC contact for VFR traffic only, IFR traffic must request entry clearance.

EGTR

@arj1 a Farnborough controller sounded quite surprised once when I was IFR squawking 2000 and asked for a transit through the class E. I don’t think it’s a regular request.

United Kingdom

IO390 wrote:

@arj1 a Farnborough controller sounded quite surprised once when I was IFR squawking 2000 and asked for a transit through the class E. I don’t think it’s a regular request.

I think they just don’t allow non-IFPS traffic into that Class E: flew as a passenger on twin, PIC has requested a climb to Farnborough CAS to avoid (the weather was sh*t and we were in IMC, BTW), that was denied.

EGTR

So, don’t set 2000, like I said… This is how Class E works everywhere. In France, if you ask for a shortcut and it takes you into E or G, ATC will warn you it is “uncontrolled airspace”. The fact that E is controlled for IFR traffic is irrelevant; it is controlled only for traffic which chooses to declare IFR and speak to them, and everybody knows that.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@arj1 yes, you will need a clearance, if flying under IFR regime, and are therefore controlled.
And this whilst any non-radio/non-transponder VFR aircraft flies thru the same E class, uncontrolled.

The UK AIP might call class E CAS, to me and for my needs, it is only partially controlled.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message