Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cancelling IFR in controlled airspace with SVFR<WX<VFR

LeSving wrote:

In my head VMC is VMC, period.

Well, yes, but “VMC” is not a single thing. It means different things depending on airspace class, and even level.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 10 Mar 18:14
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

It means different things depending on airspace class, and even level.

And how fast you fly

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

One of the reasons I ask is because I was historically refused twice to divert SVFR to LESB (VFR-only airfield) in less than VMC after an ILS approach into LEPA: it was either landing at LEPA or diverting IFR.

LESB sits in class G nearby LEPA just outside class D CTR and below class A TMA

Last Edited by Antonio at 11 Mar 08:38
Antonio
LESB, Spain

I was damn sure you were referring to this case of cloudbreak on ILS before flying elsewhere

Can you ask for VFR clearance (not SVFR) before entering CTR?

For sure you can transit in TMA under VFR when CTR runway is under CAT-II conditions, I have done it, ATC tells you “to maintain VMC”, you reply “Affirm” I doubt that is possible in CTR, you have to ensure SVFR conditions and SVFR clearance is available otherwise you need “Delta VMC”

The same when you depart from non-instrument runway to join some IFR SID in CTR, ATC wants “Delta VMC” as they don’t allow SVFR departure followed by IFR climb

Last Edited by Ibra at 11 Mar 09:27

At LEPA they’ll look at current wx reported and if <VFR VMC they will refuse such clearance

Antonio
LESB, Spain

At LEPA they’ll look at current wx reported and if <VFR VMC they will refuse such clearance

Lot of airports AIP require “Delta VMC” 5000m & 1500ft ceiling

• To cancel IFR on ILS and leave CTR under VFR
  • To enter CTR under VFR and join IFR SID

Apparently, Delta VMC minima (5000m) is required to operate “visual IFR in zones” to depart and join, while “visual IFR in runways” for takeoff & land require less: visual straight-in approach (800m) and visual circling (1500m)

Funnily,

• If you land on runway under IFR, you could re-depart SVFR with 1500m & 600ft?
  • If you ask for SVFR departure, you are likely prohibited from climb into CTA/TMA above

I recall Geneva-Annemasse require 1500ft ceiling to leave ILS at 3000ft amsl under VFR

In the other hand, LeBourget-Lognes, Melun-Etampes can be done SVFR

Last Edited by Ibra at 11 Mar 21:57

dublinpilot wrote:

Imagine IFR in IMC in class G.
If you cancel IFR, you are now illegally VFR in IMC.
Cancelling IFR isn’t illegal, but flying in IMC under VFR is.

I don’t think this is correct. You don’t have to be on an IFR clearance in class G, you can fly uncontrolled IFR. In fact you cannot even be on an IFR clearance in class G, so there is no IFR clearance to even cancel because you don’t have one in the first place!

Andreas IOM

There is no “cancel IFR” in Golf and there is “no SVFR in Golf”, so likely the wrong example the OP question was for IFR/SVFR switch in CTR with say 1500m visibility to leave CTR, this is likely Delta or Charlie controlled airspace

“VFR/IFR in IMC” in Golf is legal, the pilot has to be rated and the aircraft equipped, all you need is to comply with safe minimal altitudes for VFR/IFR and have a state of mind to switch VFR/IFR, maybe some caveats on radio contact, flight plan that you have coordinate with FIS services…ATC may require you to enter or leave controlled airspace on “VFR clearance in VMC” even when you can self-clear yourself for “IFR in IMC OCAS”

The legality of “VFR in IMC” is usually brought when flying in Echo, yes that is not legit and strictly prohibited, some countries have Echo everywhere (US, Germany…) while others have Golf everywhere (UK, France), to cancel IFR in Echo TMA, you need 5000m visibility and 1000ft from clouds

PS: some Radar ATC will cancel your IFR in IMC in Alpha TMA on your behalf, if you insist on going off route, Dutch ATC will do it, “you are VFR, contact Dutch Mil and f***k off heading 180”

Last Edited by Ibra at 13 Mar 09:35

Some of above is not correct e.g. UK is a lot of G, a bit of D, and a lot of A. France is a lot of G at low level, then a lot of E, then a lot of D above FL120.

It isn’t legal to fly in IMC with a plain PPL anywhere.

It isn’t legal to fly in IMC in E without an ATC IFR clearance.

On the original topic, I think ATC would be puzzled. I have cancelled IFR around the Alps to get lower down but then they might chuck other stuff at you e.g. some military exercise… Normally one never cancels IFR unless landing, because the moment you do so ATC is no longer responsible for keeping you out of “prohibited” areas, and it becomes really easy to screw up, especially as IFR flyers tend to do minimal enroute planning w.r.t. prohibited areas etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I can predict your answers @Peter of course, Charlie airspace is everywhere above FL195, you can fly there if you can afford turbine and pressurisation !

UK and France have plenty of Golf under FL100

Last Edited by Ibra at 13 Mar 09:48
Sign in to add your message