Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

L2K airport becomes QE2 airport, and consultation on the airport's future

gallois wrote:

The French despite being a Republic having decapitated its royal family….

We lopped one king’s head off too. It seems to have served as a warning and all those since have moderated their behaviour to some degree.

During the state opening of parliament, part of the ritual that goes on symbolises parliament’s independence from the monarch and is rooted in the time Charles I attempted to have some members of parliament arrested.

EGLM & EGTN

I am all for it.

Anything which helps UK traffic to Le Touquet is a good thing.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Surprised, but delightful idea. Maybe they could go one step further and make the airport dual national, like Geneva and Basel both.

It is incredible to visit Normandy for D Day celebrations. The locals are incredibly pro Brit and American.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Lot of it is also traced to horse races as well, QE2 as cavaliere did win the horse race in Picardie (and attended some in Deauville and LeTouquet), the city & airport managers have lot of history with horse business

We lopped one king’s head off too.

I did not know there was a “guillotine in Picadilly” (if anyone have seen Russel Crow in Master and Commander), I may have to read history again

Last Edited by Ibra at 15 Sep 10:33
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

That’s both PR and a great sign of friendship.
The French-British friendship is very important IMO, and makes a lot of sense.

Graham wrote:

It seems to have served as a warning and all those since have moderated their behaviour to some degree.

That’s our bad luck. In France it was only a step down into the abyss

Buckerfan wrote:

Maybe they could go one step further and make the airport dual national, like Geneva and Basel both.

Having the UK BF at LFAT 365 days a year would be AMAZING indeed.

LFOU, France

Ibra wrote:

I did not know there was a “guillotine in Picadilly”

They used an axe.

ELLX

So, instead of “L2K” we’ll now use “E2R”?

EGKR, United Kingdom

So, instead of “L2K” we’ll now use “E2R”?

Or QE2, though that does sound like a bounty hunter from a Star Wars movie.

Or QE2, though that does sound like a bounty hunter from a Star Wars movie.

Actually it sounds like a rather famous ship :

@Ibra that is a great film :-)

In short, Charles I was very keen on the divine right of kings and was very autocratic. Parliament became upset with him and he dissolved Parliament. Then there was the English Civil war between the two sides, the King lost and was captured. They tried him for treason and lopped his head off. We experimented for a while under the apparent alternative, which turned out to be a dictatorship. When the dictator (Cromwell) died, it wasn’t long before Charles I’s son (Charles II) was welcomed back as King.

This was all in the mid 17th century, so before the French got the idea and there wouldn’t have been anyone on Russell Crowe’s ship in the film who remembered it.

Here’s hoping Charles III doesn’t have similar issues.

Last Edited by Graham at 20 Sep 11:28
EGLM & EGTN
Sign in to add your message